Preserving a dead fish

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
A month ago my polypterus delhezi disappeared. We bought and new house and moved the tank/stand today and found him dried up under it :( . I always planned on preserving my monsters when they pass. Does anyone have any tips for preserving him? He is dusty so I was thinking of cleaning him with rubbing alcohol and a qtip. He almost totally dried out but feels a little moist on his stomach, how should I finish removing the moisture? I'm not sure if the moisture is from his body or from splashes from the tank being moved. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
What he said translates to "not sure if serious" and no, you dont need to address that kind of stupidity.

Anyways, I use isopropyl alcohol to preserve things, but if fully dried up, you probably dont even need to, because as long as it remains dry, there will be no smell.

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish. :(

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
What he said translates to "not sure if serious" and no, you dont need to address that kind of stupidity.

Anyways, I use isopropyl alcohol to preserve things, but if fully dried up, you probably dont even need to, because as long as it remains dry, there will be no smell.

Thanks, I'll just clean him up then and put him in a case.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland

Speak for yourself bud, the moisture after a month bit raised my eyebrows that's all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Im so sorry for your loss.

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending or anything. My friend tried everything he could think of to do the same thing but his fish turned extremely brittle and just fell apart after awhile. Taxidermist just seems like a logical choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store