How to Public Aquariums Filter Their Displays?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Every time i go to a public aquarium and look at their displays, their all so freaking clean and not even a little tiny bit of fish poop floating around or fish food even tho they feed on a regular basis. In my tanks on the other hand i always see fish poop or small pieces of fish food floating around and it a huge eyes sore also im and avid photographer and i cant even begin to tell you how many great shots ive had ruined by a piece of poop in the fishes face or just floating around in the pic,

So can anyone off any insight on how public aquariums do their filtration so maybe we can get some tips on how to keep our personal tanks just as clean ;)

:popcorn::popcorn:

any videos, pics or even people who work at aquariums would be highly appreciated!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Don't know what to tell you - but if a tank is adequately maintained, you shouldn't be seeing poop floating around.

Also - their tanks are so large, that, like in nature, some waste will just settle to the bottom (which is usually tastefully decorated with rocks, plants, etc) where it just disappears and gets broken down, again, as in nature.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They use hundreds of Aquaclear and FX5 filters.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Don't know what to tell you - but if a tank is adequately maintained, you shouldn't be seeing poop floating around.

Also - their tanks are so large, that, like in nature, some waste will just settle to the bottom (which is usually tastefully decorated with rocks, plants, etc) where it just disappears and gets broken down, again, as in nature.
My tanks are well maintained, its not alot of stuff floating around just the one or two pieces i see,

but you do make a good point, about the massive amount of water they have, never though of that

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
But seriously,Zoodiver could shed some light here since that is pretty much his field.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I got a behind the scenes tour of the public aquarium at mandalay bay , and it was actually pretty funny because it was all the stuff we use just super sized! like 6 foot tall protein skimmers and sand filters the size of a volkswagen.

Here are some pics

IMG_0376.JPGIMG_0375.JPGIMG_0372.JPGIMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol@sand filters the size of a Volkswagen...nice backstage shots.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Here they used sumps with filter socks. Change the filter socks out every couple days so no chance of clogging.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store