Purigen Question

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Hey M.F.K.ers, I got one of the small purigen packs today... the one in the little mesh bag.... I stuck it in a H.O.B. filter for now ....Am I way better off putting it in one of My canister filters or will the H.O.B. be fine .I have been reading tons of info on here ,thats kinda what made Me buy it . I just wonder about more vs. less flow for optimum results. Thanks for any advice.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Honestly I don't think there is any difference in the hob or canister. They work well for me both in canisters and hobs.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It probably works better getting water flow that is pre-filtered. It seems to work fine even at the bottom of a sump where filtered water can just flow through it.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
so the answer seems to be either one?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I am not going to dig around for a link but Seachem recommends canister over HOB if memory serves. Primary issue is flow-through which I would say is easier in a canister. Probably doesn't make much difference either way.

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Thanks for the quick answers Guys, I will (re)check their site today for suggestions , it is a temporary set up any way, the H.O.B.( I do have a prefilter before the pouch) is actually getting seeded for another tank,so I will be putting it in one of My cans ..I just thought it would be easy to keep an eye on it and well easier period haha....since I am brand new to purigen....Excited to see My test results throughout the coming weeks . The nitrates have been a bit high ,hoping this and new pothos will take it down a bit ?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I have packs in HOB's, canisters and I even put them in the bottom of my filter socks :eek:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Thanks for the quick answers Guys, I will (re)check their site today for suggestions , it is a temporary set up any way, the H.O.B.( I do have a prefilter before the pouch) is actually getting seeded for another tank,so I will be putting it in one of My cans ..I just thought it would be easy to keep an eye on it and well easier period haha....since I am brand new to purigen....Excited to see My test results throughout the coming weeks . The nitrates have been a bit high ,hoping this and new pothos will take it down a bit ?
If nitrates are your problem I would recommend a algae scrubber or even just some plants. Plants do wonders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store