Fluval FX5 starts and stops continuously.

Mantvis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2012
Lithuania
Fluval FX5 starts and stops continuously.
I removed the rotor, cleaned it, nothing. Maybe anyone had this problem and knows a fix?
Maybe it’s possible to remove the sealant from the motor and bypass the smart chip? I think it is stuck on its cycle.
I bought the filter new, unopened from a person who had It sitting in his closet, so no warranty..
The filter was working from 2013.01.04 till 2014.03.23

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
You most likely have air entering the system from somewhere. Filter is trying to purge the air. Check for leaks.
That wouldnt cause it to restart, it is on a 24 hour clock. I would imagine that it is faulty, but with no warranty you may be out of luck.

Mantvis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2012
Lithuania
No options :( ? It has no air, couse i tried to run it without the basket, it would still just start and swich off every half a second..

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
Sounds like you got a turd.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mantvis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2012
Lithuania
Hmm, what about fixing a motor from a 2000 lph powerhead into the spot, while using the impeller blades from the fluval one?

Anyone have ever done something like that?

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Maybe air is trapped inside the in/out hose lines. Try to lift em up from the water to remove trapped air, might need to clean the canister to remove debris as well.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mantvis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2012
Lithuania
Maybe air is trapped inside the in/out hose lines. Try to lift em up from the water to remove trapped air, might need to clean the canister to remove debris as well.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If it runs with loops while without hoses or anything, how that will help?

It puts out the stream, its just not constant. Stops,Runs,Stops,Runs,Stops,Runs,Stops,Runs and so on.. Every 0,5 sec.

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Definitely you have some trapped air in there if the output stops-runs every 0.5 secs. Since it's closed loop, try to shutdown the canister, then run it. After the 2 min purge(the pause after restarting it), let it run for another 2 mins and shut it off again. Repeat the previous steps until the 0.5 sec stop-run stream completely stops. The fx5 removes trapped air every time it shuts off when plugged. You don't want to 24 hrs to run the air purge so repetitively unplugging and replugging and letting it purge on restart can get rid of the trapped air.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Air isn't what makes it shut down. The built in clock does. Bad motor. Buy a Eheim 2262 and be happy. Motor on top and higher quality.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store