Canister Filter for 60G

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
I currently have a 60G tank (basically a 55G, but 3" taller) running a pair of emperor 400's. This tank has been setup for 2 years and houses a 10" Oscar as it's only inhabitant. They have done a great job in managing the bio-load along with routine water changes. I run Ceramic rings in the media baskets, and it works well.

With that said, the Emps are getting noisy, and after converting to a glass top with a slim LED fixture the huge HOB's are also an eyesore. Astetics are important to me.

I'd like to replace both (or 1 perhaps) , with a single canister filter. Perhaps a Fluval 306 or 405. I'm just not sure what would offer equal, or better filtration than the two emperors.

I know that it's better to run 2 filters, but Im sure i could set up both Emps if needed quick, and run the canisters media in my media baskets in order to recover in case the canister fails.

Part of me also thinks to leave things be since the tank runs well right now.

Thanks

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
If you want to keep one emp then swap the other for an fx-5 instead of the 306 and 405.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Im partial to the eheim canisters after owning countless other canisters I finally got a couple 2217s and wow what a difference. I have 2 on my 57 rimless and they are silent and powerful without any bypass. At about 125 each they arent cheap, but come with all the media necessary and eheim's quick release "double tap" valves. Add in a couple hydor inline heaters and you tank will look much more "clean". Add in lily pipes if the budget allows for a really clean look

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
THE EHEIM sure has a good following..I had an ECCO model,i liked very much,till the handle broke...... you won't have that problem with the 2217

thara007

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2014
Sri lanka
hi all.

im new to this forum and this is my first post.

recently i have made a cement tank and now i have fished the filteration tank.
so i don't have any idea about stacking the filter media in to filter tank.

Below i have drown my filter system and i need to get mentioned filter media for mentioned parts
(example: A= Ceramic roles)

Filter.jpg

thanks

P.s, If there any valuable thread, please notify me.
:)

Filter.jpg

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Best value longterm EHEIM 2217 I have several for 20 plus years NO ISSUES EVER, Good LUCK>

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
It seems the 2217 comes highly recommended then.

Could I get away with a single unit just to consolidate space? I'll keep the two Emp's as backups in case of a failure.

I figure that, plus a Hydor inline heater could clean up the tank's appearance greatly

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I'd say yes. A 2217 can support a 10'' oscar. Just get the filter prefilled with Eheim media. Some folks experiment with media, but you're generally best off with the default media.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store