Little more help?..."they're Heeeeerrrrreeee"...or back!

TOOTHLESS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2013
UK
So it had been a good 12 days and the nematodes had vanished,...everything had a scrub out and things were perfect,... Last night i turned the external off briefly to move it, then when i turned it back on,...BAM They are back!...These small worms!....I thought the sera med tremazol had worked but it seems they have returned out of no where and are living in the externals, even though theres no overfeeding,... and i had done 2 doses of the stuff which was one whole bottle,...and now i am stumped,.. they has been sucked back through to the filter so no longer swimming round the tank,..But I dont want it causing any illness as my larger "newer motoro" has lighter looking waste, which made me think "damn is that a massive tapeworm?"....But it was a curly looking pale poo,...

Any help people or ideas? :(

Those who wanna read through the process and steps before this post can find it here -

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-PLEASE!!!-Really-Stuck-for-what-to-do!/page4

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
That is terrible. I know they can be frustrating which is why I recommended the bleach out. If you did everything perfect it would take months to get rid of them. Once in tank they can survive on food sources non visible to the eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I didn't read the previous thread so disregard if this has been suggested but perhaps a UV sterilizer would help?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TOOTHLESS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2013
UK
i got a 9w and a 20w gamma uv d+d setup on the go,

TOOTHLESS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2013
UK
My worry is with bleaching the tank is making sure there is no residual bleach in the tank and filters etc as not to kill the fish when "re-set up"

I was in two minds tempted to gently remove the externals still with water in them etc,... as there are no worms in the tank itself,.. they get blown through on the initial start up of the externals if they are ever switched off,....Then take both filters inc the uv's etc into the bathroom and then fill the sink with bleach and then put the intake and outlet into the sink and let it flow strong bleach water through them both etc should kill off everything then clean out the filters and put fresh media in "Again" ....how can i be sure that there is no left over residual bleach tho???

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The great thing about bleach is it leaves no residue, it breaks down quickly and turns into salts with hot water. Remove fish dump bleach in while system is full and running. Wait an hour and drain completely empty. Fill with a few inches of hot water while rinsing sides. Let hot water sit on substrate about 30 minutes drain and repeat. Clean filters with hot water. Fill tank up with water add dechlorinator and all will be back to normal. Tank of course will have to cycle. If you are nervous buy some cheap guppies or something and put in tank to verify it is okay. I did this on my 750 and only rinsed once. All rays were back in same day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Bleach is pretty easy to get out of the system. Just last week I was regenerating my purigen and I made the mistake and didn't check to make sure all the bleach was removed. Well, bleach was released into my reef tank so I had to move everything. All I did was pour a bunch of amquel in and kept the tank well aerated and the next day, all bleach was gone and corals are doing great after putting them back in.

TOOTHLESS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2013
UK
Right i bit the bullet today moved the fish into a large container with the heater and air stone, and literally figured "sod this!" and dumped 3 x 4 liter bottles or bleach into the tank with the filters running "Hey the media will need changing anyway right?!"

Instantly watched as the little bastards curled and died, "was a sweet feeling moment", sitting here now letting the bleach work its way through the filters and uv sterilizers too, and the hoses, this way i should kill off everything right?,...

The next plan is to take the hoses and filters out into the bathroom and strip them down and rinse them out and get rid of the media,...

Then drain the tank and rinse and drain again then air dry for a day,...

Then replace the media,... plumb it back up to the tank, refill and add some seachem "prime" chlorine remover which "IF" any chlorine from the bleach remains should be neutralized right?

Also considering i will be refilling with tap water its wise. and ive been using for a while even with the rays so all good,....lemme know what u think il keep upto date

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Right i bit the bullet today moved the fish into a large container with the heater and air stone, and literally figured "sod this!" and dumped 3 x 4 liter bottles or bleach into the tank with the filters running "Hey the media will need changing anyway right?!"

Instantly watched as the little bastards curled and died, "was a sweet feeling moment", sitting here now letting the bleach work its way through the filters and uv sterilizers too, and the hoses, this way i should kill off everything right?,...

The next plan is to take the hoses and filters out into the bathroom and strip them down and rinse them out and get rid of the media,...

Then drain the tank and rinse and drain again then air dry for a day,...

Then replace the media,... plumb it back up to the tank, refill and add some seachem "prime" chlorine remover which "IF" any chlorine from the bleach remains should be neutralized right?

Also considering i will be refilling with tap water its wise. and ive been using for a while even with the rays so all good,....lemme know what u think il keep upto date
Great plan! I'd use double prime just because there might be a large chlorine load to neutralize. Try squeezing the sponge or media from another filter on a separate tank (if you have one) directly on and into the new media in your cleaned out filters once the bleach is removed. This will help cycle your tank much faster!

Good luck!!!!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Mmmmmmmm

Won't you need to totally recycle the tank as you killed all the good bacteria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com