Raising shrimp for live sustainable food source

Purple

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
Connecticut
Does anyone have any experience raising and breeding freshwater shrimps for live feeding? Im thinking ghost shrimp, cherry, bumblebee etc.. I was thinking of starting a twenty gallon planted for specifically raising these as sustainable food source for my main tank. My thinking would be once the colony gets large enough i could add a group to my main tank as a natural predator/prey relationship. Any thoughts?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It is possible, but will take a while for the shrimp to grow to feeding size. Try marmorkrebs (self cloning marble crayfish). They are easily bred and grow quickly.

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
Ghost shrimp spawn in brackish water, I would go with cherry shrimp and if you just going for food I would just use 5 gallon buckets and not a tank, put a sponge filter and moss in each and keep them in a warm area. I did this with 2 buckets under one of my tanks it worked well but I would go for 4 buckets if you want a steddy supply.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I've done that with cherry shrimps in a 200 gallon tank and it was never enough to feed 1 Flowerhorn sustainably.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store