Goldfish Problems

fishnugget25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2014
San Diego
Hey guys, this is my first post, and im having problems with my red cap oranda. I have had for 1 year now and it is living alone in a 10 gallon tank. yes i know this is overcrowded but i have a very good filter. recently as of yesterday my goldfish is not moving, and is stuck in the corner. i thought this could be SBD so i fed it de-shelled pease but this did not do anything. I also added to tablespoons of Epsom salt incase it was dropsy. My water parameters are normal and i did a 25% water change. It eats and seems fine but it refuses to swim and cannot gain balance. View attachment 1000395

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
What exactly are your parameters? How much/how often are you changing water usually? Even with a great filter a 10g would be challenging to keep stable with a goldfish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishnugget25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2014
San Diego
Thanks, i have an aquaclear 50 because my parents would not get a bigger tanks o i decided i would get a beefy filter. I tend to do a 45% water change every other week but recently i did a 25% water change. zero ammonia. zero nitrite and about 10 ppm of nitrate.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Thanks, i have an aquaclear 50 because my parents would not get a bigger tanks o i decided i would get a beefy filter. I tend to do a 45% water change every other week but recently i did a 25% water change. zero ammonia. zero nitrite and about 10 ppm of nitrate.
Well the parameters are good, have you seen him poop? Could be constipation, which the peas and Epsom salts should help with. What do you feed normally?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishnugget25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2014
San Diego
I usually feed him hikari sinking pellets. I dont think its constipation brcause I have fed him peas recently and hes pooping them out fine.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try filling a 5 gallon bucket with tank water. This will also allow you to do a 50% water change. In the bucket add one teaspoon of Methylene blue and one tablespoon of Epsom salt. Leave the fish in this for about 20 mins. Then put back in main tank. If it is a swim bladder issue this will help. If it is a bacterial infection you will need an antibiotic, try this first and see how the fish does. Remember you need Methylene blue NOT Malachite green they are not the same, so be careful.

fishnugget25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2014
San Diego
Thank u so much for responding. Atm all i have is epsom, it will be until friday that i can get a hold of any meds. Is there anything else you think i can use ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store