ADA Amazonia vs. Eco Complete-shrimpies

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Now that our plants our flourishing in our 40L (got rid of the non-submergable plants, got CO2 going and 2 HOT5s), I'm going to be making a high tech 10 gallon planted tank. I'm planning on stocking it with Tiger Shrimps, and have a pretty simple list of plants that I'm sure they will love (variety of mosses and grass like plants, plus anubias nana). It will be a small forest inspired tank, in which I'm hoping to create depth with trees with Fissidens Fontanus attached to driftwood, willow moss force growed on stones, a small creek made from sand/gravel, and a grassy area on the left side of the tank. I have most of my plants planned out, but substrate is where I'm stuck.

I know a lot of people recommend the ADA Amazonia, especially for shrimp due to it's ability to buffer PH without raising kh, but won't injecting CO2 lower the PH already? Part of me thinks I can probably get away with not dosing CO2 though it would be nice if I could do so with the shrimp. I know that Eco Complete won't lower the PH, but is the ADA Amazonia stuff really worth the price to keep the PH steady? Or will I be fine with the Eco Complete and keeping a watch on my water parameters? It's a huge price difference $70 dollars vs $18 dollars for about 15 pounds of substrate.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Actually the use of co2 will depend on the lighting for the tank, example; A high light planted tank will require a co2 system because high lighting speeds up a plants photosynthesis stage causing the plant to use more carbohydrates that the plant gets from fertilizers, and carbon dioxide. Co2's affect on the PH is minimal at best, example; Say a planted tank with the PH around 7-7.2 co2 would lower the PH to around 6.8...

ADA Amazonia is a great product, I've used it by itself, I've mixed it in with flourite/floramax substrates, but in the end it's all about saving money. You can get away with using eco-complete, just make sure to keep an eye on water parameters, and how much fertilizer you dose in the tank.

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I was thinking of a probably an LED setup, as I think that using the majority of the T5 systems on the market are going to be WAY too much light for a 10 gallon tank. Or maybe using CFL, with two bulbs in one of Tetra's standard hoods. I do know most of my plants will be fine with medium light, as none are really all that demanding, though I want to get the most of amount of growth out of all of them. The other option I was looking at was a two bulb 20" Aquatic Life HOt5 set-up. I love Catalina's products but you are limited on 20" fixtures. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_76&products_id=1228 I do think maybe that one might be able to do that option. They have the matching 36 watt 6500K full spectrum bulb I can tell them to install in the hood. Do you think that would be enough? It's not a T5 but I don't think it would have too much trouble penetrating a 12" aquarium that will have at least 2.5 inches of substrate.

I have a full test kit for our pond that I'm thinking I'll use for the shrimp tank as well. I was told to use RO water and remineralize it for the shrimp, but I worry that with CO2 and the Amazonia, it might drop the pH too low. I do like the fact I won't have to have a high kH amount to stabilize the pH, as I know the shrimp are pretty sensitive when it comes to water parameters. I forget our current pH level, though I know we have two water softeners and a filter for the water coming in to the house. I was planning on taking the water for the tank out of the 40L when we do a water change, as I know the tank has been running non stop for about 6-7 years.

Unrated... I was looking at some of the reviews and it says that after a certain period of time the substrate turns mud like, have you experienced any of that? I do know about the ammonia spikes at the get go, though I plan on cycling the tank for 2-3 months until it stops, and also to give my plants a head start before the inhabitants are added.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
It's true that ADA aqua soil eventually turns into a muddy mess, but it actually takes 3 years to do so. If you're like me after a year of the same substrate in a tank I move to replace it, which is why I tend to go with the "cheaper" alternatives like flourite, eco complete, floramax...

Also I prefer to go with T5HO light fixtures for my tanks because it allows me to use different types of T5 bulbs in the fixture, like for my 45 gallon long tank (48"x12"x19") I'm using a quad 4x54w fixture with 2x6500k bulbs, and 2xWavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulbs. Now the reason for the Ultra Growth bulbs is because they're made to generate both wavelengths that plant chlorophyll a & chlorophyll b respond to, which is chlorophyll a responds to 420nm & 660nm, and chlorophyll b responds to 460nm & 630nm and the Ultra Growth bulbs hit all of these wavelengths.

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
It's true that ADA aqua soil eventually turns into a muddy mess, but it actually takes 3 years to do so. If you're like me after a year of the same substrate in a tank I move to replace it, which is why I tend to go with the "cheaper" alternatives like flourite, eco complete, floramax...

Also I prefer to go with T5HO light fixtures for my tanks because it allows me to use different types of T5 bulbs in the fixture, like for my 45 gallon long tank (48"x12"x19") I'm using a quad 4x54w fixture with 2x6500k bulbs, and 2xWavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulbs. Now the reason for the Ultra Growth bulbs is because they're made to generate both wavelengths that plant chlorophyll a & chlorophyll b respond to, which is chlorophyll a responds to 420nm & 660nm, and chlorophyll b responds to 460nm & 630nm and the Ultra Growth bulbs hit all of these wavelengths.
Do you think a 2 bulb t5 setup is going to be too much for a 10g? Our 48 inch long tank has them but wont it be overkill for a 10g? Only T5HO fixtures I've found are the Odyssea and AquaticLife. Any of them good?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
AquaticLife T5HO fixtures are near the top of line, but Odyssea (which I have) is near the bottom; Here's why...

AquaticLife uses individual reflectors for each bulb, which give AquaticLife fixtures better PAR because the reflectors reflect more light to the tank and plants. Odyssea uses 1 complete reflector for the entire fixture, which means that even though your tank and plants are getting light a lot of the light escapes because of the poor quality reflector.

I say check out a Nova Extreme T5HO dual fixture for your tank, they make some good quality fixtures at decent prices. Myself, I went with the 48" Odyssea T5HO Quad w/ built in timer, just because it was cheap, does what I need to do which is contain 4 T5HO bulbs so I can use the built in timer for a set lighting regime. My lighting regime is this...

9:30am 6500k bulb & a single Ultra Grow bulb come on
11am the other 6500k & Ultra Grow bulbs come on
2pm the first set of bulbs shut off
430pm the 2nd set of bulbs shut off

So what this does is gives me morning light at 9:30am, then at 11am all 4 bulbs are on to simulate a mid day burst of light, and then from 2pm to 4:30pm I get the early evening light.

Vincent Tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal
Go LED. Finnex fixtures are amazing and will save you money in the long run. Also, you just can't beat the shimmer effect! I love it! Also, for a 40 gallon I would definitely go for aquasoil. For my 20L I used one bag and it buffered for 2 years. I love the buffering effect but also the looks of it over eco complete.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Finnex fixtures are good, but in my opinion finnex fixtures work best on nano tanks, if you want to do a high tech setup you would need a couple finnex fixtures to achieve this. Which is why I go with T5HO for any high tech tanks I'm setting up, like I said finnex is great for nano tanks...

DSCN3140.JPG

DSCN3150.JPG

DSCN3140.JPG

DSCN3150.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store