Help, bacteria or fungus?

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey guys, I bought this FH about a week ago, put him in my 220 and the noticed a sore on his head. I thought it might be bc the others were picking at him, so I just kept an eye on him. It got worse so I set up a quarantine tank and treated him with the attached picture of medicine for bacteria. But after a couple days doesn't seem to be getting any better. None of my other fish are showing any signs of this and are all acting fine. Is it a fungus and I'm treating him with the wrong stuff?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395753046.151088.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395753055.263320.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395753063.796760.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395753072.598314.jpg

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
That is a fungal infection and you treating for bacterial.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I would treat with methylene blue

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
While Erythromycin is a good and effective antibiotic when used correctly it is primarily best used against gram-positive bacteria. Unfortunately most bacterial infections that effect our fish are gram-negative. Methylene blue is also a very effect treatment for fungal and some parasitic afflictions however it is very hard on nitrifying bacteria and I usually only recommend it’s use as a bath or in a hospital tank and avoid it in main display tanks for this reason. To me this looks like HITH (hexamita), I would treat this with Metronidazole. If you can’t find straight Metro use API General Cure (Metro/Prazi) in combination. Since this fish is in a hospital tank do a 75% water change, add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water and treat with the Metro as per instructions. In addition dissolve a 10 gallon dose in just enough water to dissolve the powder and soak some pellets for about 15 mins. Dump the whole into the tank and let the fish eat it. Going forward keep the water very clean and make sure the nitrates in the main tank say below 20ppm lower is better when it comes to nitrates so filter maintenance and substraight vacuuming is key to maintain good water quality. Also avoid live foods a good quality pellet is the best diet. If you have any questions or concerns please ask. HTH.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks for the responses and info!!! So I drove over the the LFS on my lunch today and to my surprise their supply was not very large. I was able to get methelyne blue, and some pimafix. I read the back of the methelyne blue and it has additional instructions if you want to use it as a bath/dip for the fish. So what if I do that, dip the fish in that solution for 10 seconds as described and then out him back his 75 gallon quarantine tank and treat the tank with pimafix for 7 days?

Would that work?

Thanks!!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What you suggest is not, IMO going to achive the desired result. However the way you treat this is ultamatly your decision.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
What you suggest is not, IMO going to achive the desired result. However the way you treat this is ultamatly your decision.
Ok, so I did a 75% wc and added the recomended salt dosage u said to last night, dipped him in the solution and added pimafix, but If you don't think that will work I will drive around tonight and look for some general cure. Would pet smart or pet supplies plus usually carry that? I typically don't like to go to the bigger chains, but if it will help then I don't care I want this guy to live

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Those white tufts that are erupting along with the open pit in the head are indications of hex. What I expect you’ll see treating with Methylene blue is the elimination of the white tufts and some healing of the open pit, the Pimafix will make the tank smell nice. While outwardly this will appear to be solving the issues it will only mask the outward symptoms but will not kill the parasite internally. So the once you stop treatment the symptoms will reappear while doing more unseen damage.
The same store you got the erythromycin at should have either Metro or GC. General Cure is usually available at PetSmart etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store