Question about planting Rotala horizontally

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I plan to start a 30g planted tank within the next few weeks and will be starting the Rotala by planting it horizontally, and then trimming the stem between the nodes after a few weeks of it rooting. I've read where this leads to much fuller Rotala bushing. Now my question is, the Rotala I plan to use is being used as a floater plant in a fry tank and hasn't been planted/rooted, so it has a lot of roots coming from the nodes, measuring about 8"-12" in length. Can I trim those roots to about 1" in length when I plant the Rotala into the soil/substrate? I know it's good to trim excess roots from the root ball area when transplanting, but I'm not familiar with side chute roots, and as to whether I'd be damaging the plant or hindering it in any way. Anyone familiar with this and that can help, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to a thread on the barrreport (planted tank) website, where they discuss horizontally planting Rotala if you're not familiar-
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7837-Rotala-planting

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Thank you, HybridHerp. I wish I thought of you earlier, I would have just pm'd you the question, knowing you would know the answer.

I almost made a profile on a planted tank site just to post and find out, but prefer MFK and my loyalty lies here.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Thank you, HybridHerp. I wish I thought of you earlier, I would have just pm'd you the question, knowing you would know the answer.

I almost made a profile on a planted tank site just to post and find out, but prefer MFK and my loyalty lies here.
Yah, it's a more intimate crowd here on the planted part of MFK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store