The definitive stingray tankmate thread?

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
I searched, but haven't found a definitive stingray tankmate thread here on MFK. If there is one, could someone provide the link? If not, could we start one here?

I've posted this a few times, so skip it if you know the story. I inherited a motoro from a friend. He's in a 75 and I'm working on setting up a 150 knowing fully that I will have to move him to an ever larger tank (I'm thinking of building an 8'x4'x30") before he outgrows the 150. I'd also like to get a female motoro as well and hopefully breed them eventually. I've been diligently doing my homework and think I have the answers to most of my questions at this point except for one:

What fish would be suitable tankmates for a motoro or a breeding pair of motoros?

but answering the more general question:

What fish are suitable tankmates for rays?

would make this an even more useful thread.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tigrinus cat I said it works on the other thread but I think people are taking how tiger shovel nose and red tail cat act with rays which isn't the case with tigrinus

I have and know lots of others who do this mix with no issues

Yes my fish are well fed but that's the only way to make a mixed comm work

I said I would post pictures of my 28" tig with small rays
This is the smallest ray in the tank right now
Even when new born pups are in the tank the tig doesn't look at them

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395864628.839484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Tigrinus cat I said it works on the other thread but I think people are taking how tiger shovel nose and red tail cat act with rays which isn't the case with tigrinus

View attachment 1000846

Xback Asian arowanas, they also stay at a reasonable size, instead of the red tail golden arowanas, that get to 90cm ( I acually have the information about Asian aros from T1) Soribum limas, should work too. Good luck, you would probably be better off getting the 8 x 4, right away, motoros, should be fast growing rays.

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust

View attachment 1000846

i disagree with T1 on this.

I had a large Tigrinus with my rays, and it is an uneasy feeling when feeding... THey hit food so violently, i would not risk it again. I hated to sell my beast, but rays are more important to me.

It is hard to say what is suitable, all comes down to personality of the fish.
Some rays are killers, some aren't as bad.

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
Personally, I'm more worried about something nipping at my ray out sucking on his slime coat than I am about him being aggressive with the other fish. My only concern there is essentially buying expensive ray food.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i disagree with T1 on this.

I had a large Tigrinus with my rays, and it is an uneasy feeling when feeding... THey hit food so violently, i would not risk it again. I hated to sell my beast, but rays are more important to me.

It is hard to say what is suitable, all comes down to personality of the fish.
Some rays are killers, some aren't as bad.
Yes they do hit food hard but if they have grown up with rays like the 4 different tigs I have had then if they get a mouthful of ray they let go right away

My tig has grabs a rays barb twice before with no side effects

Tigs mouths are not massive and a ray is totally the wrong shape for it to do damage

Tigs seam to like staying up the side wall of the tank in the flow of water

My tig can pick small pellets from on top of the rays with no problems

You only need to look on you tube and you will find loads of people keeping them with rays

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I have a couple medium sized peacock bass in with mine, and they never seem to bother one another. Has anyone ever seen this combo go bad?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
No such thing as definitive. That's what fish keeping teaches you really. Each fish is different.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
Good luck, you would probably be better off getting the 8 x 4, right away, motoros, should be fast growing rays.
I know. I've read enough threads here that I've seen the (justified) responses that if you can't properly house a fish to start with, you shouldn't get it, even as a rescue. And I'm sure you've read plenty of folks like me who have said that in their case it's different and everything is going to work out fine. I'm learning as quickly as I can. I moved my ray from the 29 he was in to a 75 I bought for him. Once I realized he needs something bigger I started looking for tanks. I found a 150g for a reasonable price so I'm setting it up for him until I have what I need ($, materials, resources, and knowledge) to do a tank that will really work for him for the rest of his, hopefully huge and long, life.
No such thing as definitive. That's what fish keeping teaches you really. Each fish is different.
Ugh. I run a tutoring center. I tell parents I feel horrible for giving them this answer, "I'd like to tell you exactly what will work best, but each child is different and we'll work together to find the best possible plan." davenmandy, I hate your answer but I know it probably is the best answer to my question.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
You are correct each fish is different but if you train them early to live with other fish it will work out in most cases

Much like with a dog if you train it to mix well with other dogs it should turn out to be social
If you give a fish feeders it will know to hunt other fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store