IS MY POLYPTERUS ENDLICHERI GROWTH RATE NORMAL?

JONNYEE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
America
I got her around 3 inches six or seven months ago and she is now at around 10-12 inches give or take. I know this is also a factor, my lfs said that it's wild caught, and it does seem like a pretty big size difference for that period of time.

Thanks MFK.

image.jpg

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Seems ok to me. It's definitely not a bad growth rate.

JONNYEE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
America
Yea I know they're reported to get around that size in the wild, which would be pretty awesome if I can get mine that big. And since it's supposedly wc I think it has a good chance of being a little monster haha. Do yu think the growth rate seems a little quick even for a wc?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Yea I know they're reported to get around that size in the wild, which would be pretty awesome if I can get mine that big. And since it's supposedly wc I think it has a good chance of being a little monster haha. Do yu think the growth rate seems a little quick even for a wc?
Well to be completely honest I'm doubting that it's wild caught. It could very well be, but usually when LJ's are in an LFS around the size you got it they are usually CB. What type of LFS was it? was it a chain or a mom and pop? and is the LFS reputable (not like would they lie, but do they know what they are talking about)? WC or CB it's a pretty good growth rate. From what I read about them people say they grow pretty fast until the 10"-12" range and then seem to slow down. I've heard that WC's will usually grow a little faster than CB given the right conditions, but that doesn't mean the CB won't grow fast. Either way I would say CB or WC it's a nice growth rate.

JONNYEE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
America
Yea it's not that I doubt it, or I think it is, but it being in store at that size did make it seem cb, at least until I asked. It's a reputable lfs that's been around my town for awhile. I always deal with the owner cause he's most knowledgeable and experienced in the shop. And he's straight up about things, he'll help you for free when he can make a buck. Cool guy. But anyways he said they're wc, so I guess it's safe to say they are. Thanks for the info and compliment tho! ��

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I have yet to see small wc endlis, and usually (at least in this side of the globe) they appear much darker and a slight difference in their width(but not necessarily girth *hope that made sense) lol.

Mine grew really fast until he got to ~14, hes less than a year old. :) id say the space plays an integral pond. Mine came from my planted 100gs (long) where used to stay by the floating hydrilla plants. Then he went to a pond and believe it or not, he held his own with my big cats:)

That and water quality. For some weird reason, the water quality of my larger but less filtered pond is better than most of my tanks:(

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store