purigen or chemi pure

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Been doing a little reading on both products are they as good as advised (water clarity and nitrate lowering) ? which is better ? both state around 6 months of use is it sort of true? can either be used while cycling ?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I just started using purigen in a 75 ..seems to clear the water a bit...I don't think it will have a big effect until your tank is fully cycled,but since it's rechargeable trying couldn't hurt:)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I use chemi pure in my canister. Seems to have made my water a BIT less yellow from tannins which is why I bought it. Nitrates never go above 10 in my tank doing changes every other week since I'm understocked now so I wouldn't know about that part of it.

Nothing beats at a good water change though!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
oh no I agree about wc I actually like doing them... well not every other day but you know what I mean. I really was interested in them because I've read comments about water clarity.

lp,
do you plan on recharging it with bleach or just buying new ?

dive,
saw a youtube vid and guy was having the same issue and he used purigen...total difference from before and after

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
oh no I agree about wc I actually like doing them... well not every other day but you know what I mean. I really was interested in them because I've read comments about water clarity.

lp,

dive,
saw a youtube vid and guy was having the same issue and he used purigen...total difference from before and after
I am not 100% confident I want to risk my fish on my ability as a first timer on a re-charge ...but I am leaning that direction as of this minute

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

lp,

dive,
I actually like a bit of yellow, looks more swampy or blackwater :)

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I bought purigen for my 180 because nothing else would clear up the tannins from a 90 lb. piece of driftwood...this stuff is great my water is crystal clear and nitrates are always less then 20 ppm on a heavily stocked tank..( had 40 before with no other changes)..recharging is easy just bleach for a day with equal parts water..then soak for a day in water and some prime to kill remaining chlorine. Don't know about chemipure but I would highly recommend purigen it rocks

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I use chemipure in all my tanks, except the quarantine. I've had good results and don't mind spending coin on it. I hear purigen is just as good, but have stuck with what I know works. Water is crystal clear and fish always look happy. My 2cents.

Forgot to add, at around 4 month the tannins are visible again in my 50. So I usually change the chemipure and it goes crystal again

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i use the bleach to recharge my purigen. i wont replace it untill it starts to crumble. ill mix it around in the bag when ever i clean the filter pads and put it back in. i dont recharge it untill it turns brown throughout. i use the 50/50 bleach/ water mix it says to us on the bottle. i have found that it lasts longer between recharges if you keep it wet at all times. just put it in a little rubbermaid container full of water untill you use it again.( i have two sets for each filter so when it needs recharging, i can just swap them out and put my canister back together. i just had to throw the first bag i got away after a year and a half. i love the stuff. my water is pristine.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh you recharge that stuff? I've just been putting it I'm for a month then getting a new one. How long should they last for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store