Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I'm considering getting a glass tank made for me with dimensions of:

72-80" long
36-48" wide
22-24" tall

All the glass thickness calculators I have used have said only 3/8" thick glass would be required, but from what I've read most people use thicker glass on a tank this size. The tank would be eurobraced.

My question is if 3/8 would be sufficient and safe? At a height of 22" the saftey factor is around 3.5. I would like to go as thin as I could on the glass just for the difference in weight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Also does anyone have any insight on the safety factor? What safety factor is appropriate for a "safe" tank?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
It truly is up to you. I would personally search out other builds in the history of this site (note the diy section was once just the parent of this sub section) and run them against the calculator of your choice. Then make your decisions from there. People are reluctant to answer questions about things like this when you aren't over building something Abrams tank style because both of you would feel bad if your project had a catastrophic failure.

My calculator provides backwards SF checking as well as a few other important things you may want to know before building. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...rmuds-Glass-and-Acrylic-Calculator-(it-lives) No reason to leave mfk for anything fish related.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Okay so believe it or not someone is selling a disassembled tank of 72"x42"widex24" tall 3/4" thick glass with one 1/2" thick brace. Is it fairly difficult to assemble a tank of this magnitude? I have no experience putting together tanks but I have used silicone plenty of times before. I just seen the ad, so I will be going through the DIY section on here to try to find similar builds. It wouldn't be too bad to bring it down the stairs disassembled, but moving a 6-7 hundred pound tank in one piece would be impossible with the layout.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Garf calculator says that 3/8" is safe. It would literally weigh half the weight and I could get it professionally built and would also be able to move it without disassembling it. Hmmmm..... this is a tricky situation lol

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
At 22", I get a 2.5 safety factor, not 3.5. And no one can say what is "safe." There are assumptions as to the quality of the glass (high grade, store front windows), what might impact the glass (fish, rocks, toys, baseballs), any imperfections on how level the tank is, etc.

The higher the safety factor, the less likely it will fail, but you have to judge all the factors to determine what is enough.

If I had excellent bracing, smallish, inexpensive fish, no kids, freshly made glass from a reputable supplier, and an area where a tank failure was not a disaster (like a garage), I would feel quite comfortable with 2.5. As those factors worsen, I might add more safety until I got to 3.5-3.8. It's just added insurance and some situations don't call for more.

I would bet that most tanks made on this site have not failed and most used around 2.5. Built right, with good glass, and careful owners, I wouldn't be surprised. But tanks do fail or get cracked from time to time.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
The actual safety factor for either 22 or 24 inches of fill height is basically 2.7 Garfs page is flawed. I just hopped over to their website and put in the numbers for an all glass. It does in fact say that 3/8's is the recommended glass. Personally their page and recommendations are done with little educative content to allow a person to make an educated choice for their own build.

If you are searching for information about building your own tank use a more robust calculator that allows you to play with the numbers to get a solid idea of what works for you. Using the experience of other people who have built their own tanks is a good thing as well but when you come in with inaccurate information to begin with you may get inaccurate replies and thus make a flawed decision.

Please, do not trust the information from their DIY section for tank building as gospel. Use the best tools available to you to make the best choice for yourself.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I appreciate the feedback. It's either I make it myself out of 3/4" or I get it made out of 3/8". Either way there is a risk of it failing. On the one hand I've never built a tank of any size and it could fail just because of my inexperience and on the other hand I could end up with it breaking just from it being too thin. This is definitely a tough decision. lol either way it doesn't look too good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store