Most productive feeders in a 180 gallon.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I'm looking for the most productive feeder for a 180 gallon tank. That is correct...a 180 gallon for feeders.

I've thought convicts, but with past experience they defend their fry with the utmost ferocity. A few pairs make sense, but if the fry are harassed I bet they will be weak.

I've thought guppies or platies and the like, but won't the fry get eaten with all of the adults? Idk really.

It doesn't have to be fish necessarily. I have bred african clawed frogs and they might work quite well actually. Crustaceans?

Suggestions?

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I don't really understand what r u asking, do u wanna breed feeders in a separate tank and feed them to other fish in a 180 or do u want to breed in the 180 and have the fry survive to be feed to another tank? Anyways I have a breeding pair of cons in a 190-200 gal tank they used to breed in it but ever since I added a male GT to the tank all the fry gets eaten even before they become free swimming so it depends alot on what other adult fish u have in the tank. I had an oscar in that tank before the GT and he would leave the fry alone untill they're big enough to wonder around and then every fish in the tank would pick them off one by one

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I don't really understand what r u asking, do u wanna breed feeders in a separate tank and feed them to other fish in a 180 or do u want to breed in the 180 and have the fry survive to be feed to another tank? Anyways I have a breeding pair of cons in a 190-200 gal tank they used to breed in it but ever since I added a male GT to the tank all the fry gets eaten even before they become free swimming so it depends alot on what other adult fish u have in the tank. I had an oscar in that tank before the GT and he would leave the fry alone untill they're big enough to wonder around and then every fish in the tank would pick them off one by one
Breed feeders in the 180 for other fish in separate tanks.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I breed amphilophus flaveolus in a 29g, wait till fry are free swimming then pull parents and place them in another 29g, and repeat.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Guppies sound like a good idea. Expecially in a 180. You can get hundreds and hundreds.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
You could breed the self cloning crays and guppies together since the grays are bottom dwellers and the guppies are top dwellers. In a 180 the possibilities where almost endless!

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I would go with Tilapia or Jaguar Cichlids. They produce many offspring and grow at a good rate. Crayfish are a good, healthy option as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store