who keeps flathead catfish?

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
is there anyone here keep flathead catfish? any chance of getting them to eat pellets?

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
yeah I looked at that one before, not sure if necro managed to get the cat to eat pellet, it would take sometimes i think. To be honest its a bit weirs getting monsters to eat pellet, but still I rather do so since I dont really trust the meat they sell in the local fish market. The flathead is hard to come by here in the country, but i dont think theybare that rare out there, do they?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
A flathead would definitely do better on meat though. Just get some prawn, maybe something similar to sunfish as a treat since I see you aren't in the us.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I kept one in a 180 for about 5 months. It ate minnows occasionally as well as market shrimp.

It is actually in my avatar. Its laying on the log going straight up.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
there are plenty of fish farm here which breed tilapia and goldfish, but the life fish the sell here mostly infected witch ich or other skin diseases, so it has to be quarantine first. I am still considering whether or not to get this monster in my tank, which I am not sure would work with the rest of my catfishes.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
I kept one in a 180 for about 5 months. It ate minnows occasionally as well as market shrimp.

It is actually in my avatar. Its laying on the log going straight up.
any tank mate? is it active? is it aggressive? sorry for asking too much, not that i am lazy to do research :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Flathead have large cavernous mouths as you know. ANY fish hat will fit in its mouth or it thinks will fit in its mouth WILL be eaten without a doubt.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
any tank mate? is it active? is it aggressive? sorry for asking too much, not that i am lazy to do research :)
Had it with sunfish and perch. Not very active during day but at night and during feeding yes. If anything swam into its cave it bit at them so yes but only territorial.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Flathead have large cavernous mouths as you know. ANY fish hat will fit in its mouth or it thinks will fit in its mouth WILL be eaten without a doubt.
I agree with this. I fish for them often. Actually going on a trip this Saturday flathead fishing. They are usually 8-50lbs in size and only bite on live bait. We use cast nets to get bluegill and other sunfish, small carp, and small crappie. We then hook them live and fish with them off of the bottom once night falls. If the bait dies they won't bite so we spend a lot of time catching bait before we fish all night with the live bait checking periodically to make sure the bait is still moving.

These are very large, powerful catfish that are carnivorous predators. I'm sure in an aquarium setting if caught small and young enough they could be converted to frozen or maybe even pellets but that is definitely not what they desire and seek out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store