My first monster fishtank

Textile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
MD
Hi, new poster here. I have a collection of plecos (common, blue phantom, L240 galaxy, sultan, 3 beacon, bushy) currently spread across two tanks and i want to give them a new massive home. I am looking at getting a 240 gallon and or 190/180 gallon depending on if i need to reinforce the stringers that hold up the floor (i still need to check with an engineer). House has a basement, and my tank will be on ground floor room and back up to an exterior wall. My goal is to maximize the bottom surface area for the tank so as to give each pleco a place to call their own. I am considering 2x Ehime 2081 filters which I hope to store under the tank in the base (iv read they might leak so ill prob keep them in a large Rubbermaid bin). The room the tank is going into has a hardwood floor so I think if i spread the weigh out i should be ok? Based on my math i am looking at between 1800lbs and 2400lbs? My question is am I approaching this correctly? Do i need to consider a sump? I know the plecos are very messy, iv been over filtrating their current tanks and cleaning them weekly. They have perfect water quality. How about water turn over will i have enough with 2 ehimes? Based on my math i should be around 4 times an hour. I will be adding in extra air pumps just in case. Anything else to consider? I have a budget of around 3500 dollars for this project. As a side note, id love to be able to add an L600 some day.
Thanks,
Textile

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Most likely you will be fine with the floor. I wouldn't waste any money on an engineer. Plenty of us on this site will get you thru a lot cheaper. If the basement ceiling isn't finished, just double up the joists below where the tank is sitting. If you want to overkill it, you can put two adjustable Lally columns under it too. This will be a lot cheaper than what the engineer is going to hit you with. As far as the tank, go with the 240 drilled and build a sump out of a 55 or 75g and run a couple filter socks. Plecos are messy and the sump will be easier to maintain than cleaning canister filters. I don't keep plecos but I know they make a mess and I personally would shoot for something like 8x turnover

Textile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
MD
Well only issue with the floor, is my renter. He lives in a small apartment in my basement. This tank would be right above his bed. Given the fact that i have already had to replace the drop ceiling tiles twice due to my carelessness of refilling my snail breeding tank, i let it overfill a bit and water leaked though, luckily there was no damage to sub-floor as i was able to inspect everything. The ceiling is "finished" but is just a drop ceiling with insulation. I can take it all out and get to the stringers which have a 16" spacing. I really want ensure there is nothing to worry about. I spoke to a good friend of mine who is a contractor and he said something similar though he suggested consulting an engineer. His point was that weights i am looking at are not much different then a full soaker bath tub... Drilled is a good point, i was going to try to avoid that as it jacks the cost up, but since id be saving on filters, it may be a solid bet. Should i just build a sump / filter out of a 75g tank?

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
Skip the drilled tank. In my experience they will leak over time and trying to fix one requires a lot more effort. Also canisters are more energy efficient due to the mechanics involved, 50Watt for the pro3. I have a pair of pro3 Ehims on a 265 with as small pro 2 for peat. One of the ehims was used and after 2-3 years started to leak. Replace the sealing ring and it's all good. The one I got new hasn't leaked for about 6 years. I did put Lally columns in my basement but that's cause I'm freaking paranoid. Rather spend an extra few 100 and sleep sound at night.

Sumps have their advantages to so it's something to consider I just prefer canisters for FW.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
If you go with canisters I'd recommend the eheim 2262. I've used many of the canisters on the market. None can touch the 2262, with the FX5/FX6 coming in a close second. IMO

That being said I was intimidated by sumps for years because I had never used one. I bought a large setup that came with a sump and now I think they are the best form of filtration for me. It has socks, K1 bioreactor, and then a filterfloss/pillow stuffing pass-through before going to the heating chamber and into the return pump. It can handle massive bioload on a level that canisters never could.

if you take the time to build or buy a sump, and it's set up properly. You will be happy you made the decision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store