Canister Filter GPH and Tank Size Question

mrkrsll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
Toronto
I'm comparing two canister filters and they both have an out put of 500 gph. The first one is under $200 and its rated for tanks up to a 150 gallon tank and the second on its well over $300, but its rated for a 400 gallon tank.
Can someone explain why the more expensive one can filter a bigger tank with the same output as the cheaper one?

Thanks

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Media capicity is one thing to factor in, also amount of water the canister holds,bio load, also I never go by the tank size they say its good for, I have an fx5 on my 120 ,which they claim is good for a 400 , no way.I use a circulation pump with mine I wouldn't use it as a sole filter on anything over a 180.also flow rates that companies state are usually higher than what they actually put out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Filter manufacturers say whatever they want. It is false advertising. No canister filter with a 500 gph flow rate can adequately filter a 150 gallon tank, yet alone a 400 gallon tank.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Also, when they say 500gph, they actually get this flow from running the filter without any media. Once you have the media in there, the gph value drops markedly, and then once those media gets dirty it slows down even more.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I would look at media capacity ,then check a bunch of on-line reviews....at that point you should have "an idea", about the size tank they are appropriate for.

mrkrsll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
Toronto
I have a 75 gallon tank that I am in the process of setting up. I have been looking at HOB, canisters and DIY wet dry filters and have settled on a canister.
For the HOB's, I was looking at the AquaClear 110, but seeing the tank will be right in my living room, I don't think I will be able to deal with the constant water trickle sound.
With the wet dry filter, I am thinking I will have the same issue because of the pump and the trickling water.
My budget is $200 or less. For that price, my research keeps bring me back to the Aquatop cf 500. Its rated at 500 gph, but after you take into consideration all the variables that can slow down the output, I am unsure if that canister alone will be good enough....

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks for the link!!!
How long have you owned them for?
Also, if something does break, is it hard to get parts for it?
I've had mine for 6 months, but there are members here who have owned theirs for 2+ years with no issues. Honestly, I haven't had the need for any parts, so I haven't looked at all about replacement parts. I figured at the really low prices of these filters, I would just buy another one and use the original one for parts. They are the same exact product under the Aquatop name, so Googling parts under Aquatop should lead you to parts you need. A friend of mine has 2 of these filters also and he has no issues either.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Forgot to mention. These filters are super quiet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store