Will My Paracyp Mess with Cyp Fry?

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hello--

I've felt like a gem hunter trying to find cyps for my new tank, and I think I finally found some that I can actually drive to. They are 1" cyprichromis leptosoma utinta and if I want them, I need to act fast.

I have a pair of paracyps (blue neon) that are almost 2". The male chases the female A LOT (he doesn't want her to eat:irked:) so I was wondering if I put 10, 1" cyps in the tank, with the male paracyp mess with them?

Thanks!

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
They should all school together with the occasional chasing, I would also look for some more paracyps.

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
They should all school together with the occasional chasing, I would also look for some more paracyps.
Well, I made the plunge and they are actually smaller than 1" :irked:. I gradually introduced them into that tank and I'm real happy with the method I used.

1) I put them in my largest net and had them introduced to the tank climate that way (submerged in the tank, in the net).
2) They were chasing their poo after a while, so I gave them a little dry food that is really, really small--and they ate -- I know--don't feed them at first, but I didn't know when they would be able to eat again once I released them into the tank.
3) I waited until fish bed time before I released them into the tank. I watched what you said would happen, except it was my little (very young) shell dwellers that did the chasing. Once I saw that they were cool--but not allowed in the shelly's "space", I put them all to bed with the lights off.

I learned about the light off trick from when I first started a Malawi tank--so I thought it wouldn't hurt.

The paracyp checked them out and I think once he realized what they were, he left them alone and started trying to start something with his female.

I wish they were larger, but I got a good deal--believe me, I looked and looked. I feel like I got at least 1 male out of 5 fish. Not great odds--maybe hand picked?

I don't want any more paracyps. I want more cyps. I found a place online that is supposed to get 5 more species on Wednesday. I'll see what he has and what he charges and go from there.

I hope my black calvus doesn't try to eat them. He is so shy he barely comes out of the cave to eat. I have to drop pellets practically on his head to get him to eat. He is small, but if he tried, he could do some real damage to the little fry. :(

Q: Why are the new cyp fry hanging out near the bottom? I thought they would be mid tank.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
That is usually where they settle for the night, most people try to keep only one type of Cyp in a tank as they will cross breed, keep an eye on those Shellie's as they can be nasty little buggers. When you turn on the lights you will see them become active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store