This is whats left of my anubias.

Mr. Bubbles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2012
Lowell, Indiana
uploadfromtaptalk1396045008863.jpg its looked like that for months now. Thats y i was wondering if it was because of the floride in the city water. I cant figure it out. I cant keep any plant i get!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
It's not the city water that's causing it, 1st) Looks like you have diatoms, 2nd) a case of hair algae, 3rd) looks like it needs a bit of TLC.

1) Diatoms is brown algae however it's not a real algae, Diatoms happens when there's silicates present in the water.
2) Black hair algae can be taken off with an old toothbrush, you just slowly slide the brush across it, and then twirl the brush around. It wraps the hair algae in the toothbrush bristles.
3) Silicates can be removed with some API Phos-Zorb
4) Flourish Comprehensive is a liquid fertilizer that you can dose to the tank 1-2 times a week.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4207

Mr. Bubbles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2012
Lowell, Indiana
GOOD INFO!! And yes i am having some isues with diotoms. No hair algae though. I will try the liquids. And arn't cilicates a solid? Wont the diotoms come back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Causes of diatoms

Virtually all new aquariums will go through a diatom bloom, which is nothing to worry about. Once they’ve reduced the excess nutrients they thrive on – particularly silicates – they will die back and other algae will move in unless limited by plant growth. In more mature aquariums, the cause of diatom blooms may be excessive nitrate and other nutrients, a lack of light – which diatoms don’t really require but which will stunt other competing plant growth – or insufficient oxygen.

Treatment

In a new tank, just wait until the bloom passes. In an older tank, do a clean-up and several large water changes to reduce the nutrient load. You may need to treat your tap water if the problem is persistent. As with all algae solutions, heavy plant growth will out-compete diatoms – you’ll need to provide sufficient lighting and the correct micronutrients for plants. Some fish and snails will browse on diatoms, but only a full environmental clean-up will suppress them if they occur in mature tanks.

I suggest a big water change of 40%-50% of your tank, second would be to add some more anubias plants, or java ferns to the tank, and try to clean the gravel with a gravel vac. For dosing the flourish comprehensive, I would dose it on Wednesdays, and Saturdays because it gives the plants a couple of days in between doses to soak up the nutrients.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
What are your lights, what fish are being kept with the plants, and what nutrients are you giving it?

Also, I suggest super gluing the rhizome to a piece of wood or rock or something....anubias likes to be higher off the substrate in general.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store