Need help with what filtration system is best for my 500 gallon new to this thanks

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Hi this is my first post setting up a 500 gallon aquarium in my business. I need help with what pumps to use and which filtration system is best for a 500 gallon. I included photos of my tank so you can see how the plumbing was ran by previous owner I bought the tank used and figured I would go to the experts for help. I am new to this hobby so please forgive me if I don't know what they are but each side of tank has an internal compartment which I believe I can use please see attached photos Thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
To determine the pump size what are the size of the overflows? Looks like a two inch and possibly another two inch overflow with a 90 degree elbow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg
At 6:50 of this video it shows what a "blank" inch overflow can handle such as a two inch can handle a 1500gph safely so if you have two then I would get a 3000gph pump, You'll still be in the safe zone as you'll lose about 2%-5%total gph per foot of height due to head loss. But this depends on the hp and diameter of the return pipe and pump.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I did notice it lol didnt wana say anything though haha. Could just be some regular potted plants.. in a basement looking place!?!?? lol!

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Dam, Can I move in? lol

You need a sump, which is placed under the main tank, those holes require a bulkhead (plumbing fitting) which will seal them allowing for PVC pipe to run up to a desired hight, Water runs into the boxes then down into the sump from here it will be pumped back into the main tank and the cycle goes on and on :)

You should setup some aquaponics, I have seen wicked results on your other business using aquaponics. baseball bat sized flowers :)

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Thank you on the sump I contacted the guy I bought the tank at and he had the sump in storage he didn't know how to setup so never ran it. I have to drive 3 hours to get so will grab this next week. What size gph pumps will I need for the sump system? So water goes from the overflows in rear of tank and then pumps down to sump and back to tank? Does the water from over flow pump out the bottom of over flow where holes are or are the holes where I run the PVC for inside of overflow? Sorry new to this If I have dumb questions. Thank you so much live in Montana with very few large tanks so was difficult to find. Yea those are money trees in veg the big girls are down stairs in basement under 75 1000 watt lights. Would love to do aquaponics just don't hAve time right now

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
So simply the water from the tank goes down from the overflow into the sump. Then its just pumped from the sump and back up to the main tank and its continued. to determine pump size the size of the overflows are needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store