Breeding age/size for Hystrix Rays?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Takes awhile. I bought one of my females in early 2009 at about 6" dia. She had her first litter in 2012 at 10.5". Males mature a bit earlier and at a smaller size. IME, they are slow growing rays.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Takes awhile. I bought one of my females in early 2009 at about 6" dia. She had her first litter in 2012 at 10.5". Males mature a bit earlier and at a smaller size. IME, they are slow growing rays.
ahh ok, thanks. Anyone else have experience as well? Just wanna get a bunch of info and experience of people.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I think only 3 people on here have bred them. Everyone wants a hystrix but very few as you can see commit to them for the long haul. Spotfin, jimr, and Aquaman are the only ones I can think of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
Yeah,
Does take a while. I'd say females at least 3 years old. Males maybe a little younger. Have a female right now that looks to be pretty big. She is probably 12" over three years old. Saw a little movement on her yesterday which is kinda exciting.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I think only 3 people on here have bred them. Everyone wants a hystrix but very few as you can see commit to them for the long haul. Spotfin, jimr, and Aquaman are the only ones I can think of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah,
Does take a while. I'd say females at least 3 years old. Males maybe a little younger. Have a female right now that looks to be pretty big. She is probably 12" over three years old. Saw a little movement on her yesterday which is kinda exciting.
Ahh, well if everything goes to plan, I'll.be sticking with them lol. That's awesome! Let us know if she is preggers. Would be awesome to get first hand experience.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yeah,
Nice! I'm glad you kept them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store