Any DIYs on how to take a tank apart??

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Taking apart a 320ish gallon tank made out of 3/4" glass. What would be the best way to tear it down?

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
A fresh blade, and some guitar string

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Guitar strings work wonders. Wrap each end around a piece of wood and slice through the silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I'm trying to look like a pro at pulling apart tanks when I go to this guys house....or at the least not come off as an idiot lol

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Just use the guitar string to slice all the pieces apart and use the blade to clean the glass free of silicone

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Well that was a waste of time, energy and money. lol

We couldn't get a blade between any of the panels the and when we did find one small spot to get the guitar string started, it worked for a few inches and then would bind. The top eurobrace got destroyed. It cracked apart where the guy had drilled holes for the returns. When we tried to remove the side panels, they were too close together for the guitar string to get through and we ended up chipping one panel and cracking another. That's where we gave up and he said he would just smash it in pieces to get it out of his house.

I'm assuming we had so much trouble because he didn't use any spacers with the 3/4" glass and the silicone bead was hair thin in a lot of places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store