Where's all the glass/acrylic!?

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
I'm in the brainstorming phase of building a 750 gallon aquarium for my two iridescent sharks.
I am still learning how to calculate height, length, depth, and weight, but my latest challenge so far is finding the materials I plan to work with!
I've checked with local hardware stores for glass and acrylic and they all have nothing that I need.

Where do you guys find your materials?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
I've only had luck finding glass or acrylic at glass shops or plastic shops in my city. The only thing at menards, Lowe's, etc. Is window pane glass. Not tank worthy. Look into plywood tanks to. You can build one the same size for less or you can spend the same amount of money and build a larger tank.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
I live in a rural area, and all of our glass shops are strictly for car windshields or storm doors (which have remarkably thin glass, actually...)

We also don't have any acrylic suppliers. Any recommendations for online sources?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
USplastics.com
Eplastics.com

Look for an online place in ur state first. Motor freight shipping goes up alot out of state.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
haha Tennessee is the easiest place to get glass. I had to get my glass shipped from Tenessee.

Check these guys out. http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Home
Good suggestion. I have a tank from Glasscages.com. They make very heavy duty aquariums. My 225 that is 72x30x25 is over 500 lbs of glass! Couldn't be happier with the tank, but moving it SUCKS! Hope they can help!

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
haha Tennessee is the easiest place to get glass. I had to get my glass shipped from Tenessee.
Did you purchase a full aquarium, or was it just the glass material that was shipped? I'm not capable of spending the extra money for a full, custom-made 750 gallon tank, which is why I'm building it (hopefully for a significantly lesser price.)

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
Holy crap! I can't believe I missed it! Heck, I even e-mailed them asking if they could sell just acrylic. Thank you!

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
One more thing, I've read here on these forums and online that aquariums need "cell cast" acrylic. I've seen "cell cast plexiglass" in a single description... Are cell cast and plexiglass the same thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store