1st time sumper , got some questions

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
later in the year im going to be setting up a 7x2x2 mbuna tank which will be sumped , but ive got a few questions

with all the water being drawn from the surface how efficient are they at mechanical filtration , ie removing floating particles from the water column and keeping it crystal clear ?

same question as above for biological . do i need powerheads to circulate water ? id like to keep the display tank free from equipment .

weirs etc . do the drains and return pipe all go in 1 weir at 1 end or is it better to have drains 1 end return the other ?

herbie method . how can you be sure there will be enough water going over the weir to keep it full enough o the main drain stays under full syphon ?

im sure il have many more but will keep it to these for now

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
later in the year im going to be setting up a 7x2x2 mbuna tank which will be sumped , but ive got a few questions

with all the water being drawn from the surface how efficient are they at mechanical filtration , ie removing floating particles from the water column and keeping it crystal clear ? IF WATER IS ONLY DRAWN FORM THE SURFACEA AS IT NORMALLY IS YOU NEED SOME SORT OF CIRCULATION TO PUSH PARTICLES TO THE OUTFLOW.
WHAT I DO IS OUT A FILTER SOCK ON THE END OF THE OUTFLOW DRAIN, ALREADY INSIDE THE PUMP. MOST PARTICLES STAY THERE, DEPENDING ON THE MICRONS OF THE SOCK

same question as above for biological . do i need powerheads to circulate water ? id like to keep the display tank free from equipment . BIOLOGICAL IS DONE ON THE SUMP

weirs etc . do the drains and return pipe all go in 1 weir at 1 end or is it better to have drains 1 end return the other ? BETTER TO HAVE AT DIFFERENT ENDS. BUT WORKS FINE WITH EVERYTHING ON ONE SIDE

herbie method . how can you be sure there will be enough water going over the weir to keep it full enough o the main drain stays under full syphon ? YOU NEED TO ACHIEVE BALANCE IN THE WEIR. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR WATER RETURN STRENGHT.MTAKES TIME TO BALANCE A SUMP BUT THEN IT IS THE BEST THERE IS

im sure il have many more but will keep it to these for now
Introduced in block in your text above

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
pump will be a jebabo dc 12000 . variable output pump with max power of 12000 lph .

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would say that that pump is MORE than enough to assure a god circulation.

You don't want the water to race through your system.

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
i was planning on running it at around 50% . the thought behind getting a variable pump that can belt out far more than i need is that it future proofs me if i ever upgrade further . plus at 50% im not working the pump as hard as say a fixed 500 lph pump running at full chat 24/7 .

another very basic question actually just sprang to mind . when 1st filling the tank how do you go about it ? is it a case of fill as normal until water starts to flow over the weir and fire up the pump once sump is full ? or is there more to it than that ?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
It is as you say.

But you do not want the sump full. You need to give it space for water should you have a pump failure or an energy failure ( when it happens, all the water comes donw from the tank and none is retirned,mso uou need to avoid ovreflows in the sump)

Most people work with sumps at around mid level. My ideal water height is 2/3.

That is the fun in balancing the system.

And your logic with the pumpmis bulls eye.

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
thanks . ive got a lot of things i need to read up on , which will no doubt result in more questions . any good guides or reading you can suggest ?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You have everything in Mfk. Best data base in the world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store