Dovii Growth In The 350

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Thought I would start a thread to keep going with the growth in my 350. I got three little ones 1.5"-3" to grow out and hopefully get a male or even better a pair. The only issue so far is the 3" one is keeping the other two in hiding. Here is a pic of the bigger one and will try to get better ones as they settle.

uploadfromtaptalk1396121102259.jpg

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Nice...this will be a great thread...i am not the most well versed with dovii ..but i think in a tank that big you may need some dithers or other fish of some type to bring them out...at least you got the room to...looking forward to seeing awesome growth....

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
I hope you keep up with the thread, keep the Dovii when they get boring, around 4-12" range typically, and keep them for many years. This would be a great thread to link members to for good info. More than likely you will see species aggression for a little while, up to around 4" with males and females. Good luck and look forward to seeing this progress over the years.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
It will not change unless one is not a male. I will then get a male because that is my ultimate goal. After 30+ years of this hobby I finally felt that this tank would be adequate space for a single male or pair dovii to keep for the life of the fish.

I don't want to add any dithers to the tank because I know they would just die in a few days. The larger of the 3 I'm guessing is a male just from action, however this could also just be an alpha of an all female group. I will provide feedback from my experiences as they happen and will get video up once they settle. I feel that I can give back to this community and other hobbyist by real events and what I see with the species as they grow on a basis of change over time. Together we can all experience this journey into their ups and downs.

Thanks for all that join on this ride of the parachromis dovii growth and development.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Took a little video today since the larger one came out. The larger one has killed one of the other two....sorry about the spots, didn't want to clean it yet to make them more skiddish:

http://youtu.be/70dn7iwVzv4

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Only a few inches long and it killed one in a 350?? Oh man, that is one aggressive fish!
Yes...this one is relentless in chasing the others. This is why I chose to not put in dithers because they wouldn't make it a day. Crossing fingers it is a male and not just a hyper aggressive female.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
And then there was one....this 3" one has now claimed the whole 350 to themself.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just goes to show how small even an 8ft 350 gallon tank really is when it comes to some of the more aggressive species of cichlids. A 3" killing machine.....

I hope that it turns out to be the male of your dreams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store