plumbing filter socks?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Ive got the tank drilled , installed overflow box ( glass-holes unit, btw great people to order from) .. now I'm plumbing the sump..
Its a factory acrylic berlin style 100 - 120 gallon sump. The seven inch filter socks, which there are two .. sit.. one on each end of the sump.

The lips of the sock plastic rims sit slightly below the cover of the sump.. My first question is how to plumb the pvc ( 1.5" ) into the socks , where you can replace the socks easily w/o taking plumbing apart. nor have the pipe inlet so high it splashes or sounds like niagara falls.....?:confused:

The second question is would ball valves be needed on the inlets from the overflow to balance the flow or would just a single ball valve on the pump outlet be all thats needed to balance the flow through the system?

Im a visual type of guy so pics or links where I can look at your install would be great...

Thank you for reading and responding to my thread.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Ive got the tank drilled , installed overflow box ( glass-holes unit, btw great people to order from) .. now I'm plumbing the sump..
Its a factory acrylic berlin style 100 - 120 gallon sump. The seven inch filter socks, which there are two .. sit.. one on each end of the sump.

The lips of the sock plastic rims sit slightly below the cover of the sump.. My first question is how to plumb the pvc ( 1.5" ) into the socks , where you can replace the socks easily w/o taking plumbing apart. nor have the pipe inlet so high it splashes or sounds like niagara falls.....?:confused:

The second question is would ball valves be needed on the inlets from the overflow to balance the flow or would just a single ball valve on the pump outlet be all thats needed to balance the flow through the system?

Im a visual type of guy so pics or links where I can look at your install would be great...

Thank you for reading and responding to my thread.
1st Q.. simple just plumb it to certain area for you to access easily to change sock.. area that's out of the way so cleaning or maintenance on the sump.. then rest of the plumbing i would suggest using Non-kink Hose..
2nd Q...i do think both the drain and the return should have a ball valve or valves to control some flow of the system...
last request is simple also..my build of my sump..
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?556420-300-gal-tank-with-a-125-gal-sump

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is how I hang my filter socks, if you simply friction fit the PVC elbows, the sock is easily removed. I see no point in putting valves on the outflows, because gravity and pump pressure will control outflow, and any time you restrict flow to the sump, there is a chance of plugging up the outflow pipe, and thus overflowing the tank onto the floor.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Google Herbie style overflow. basically put a gate valve on the main drain and adjust it til the drain flow matches the input flow from the pump. You will need a back-up drain pipe so you don't flood the house, but that's the price you pay for silent flow of high volumes of water.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Probably should have started a new thread however Im not happy with filter socks .. too much particulate matter in tank .. running a 7" 200 micron and a layered 200/50 micron .. water is not crisp... what am I missing..

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'd replace the 200s with 100s or 50s, you may have to change them more often but it will make a big difference.

My drains extend about 2" below the water in the sump and the socks are held up by 6" pvc that I holesawed on one side.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1398380504528.jpg

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I'd replace the 200s with 100s or 50s, you may have to change them more often but it will make a big difference.

My drains extend about 2" below the water in the sump and the socks are held up by 6" pvc that I holesawed on one side.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
That's a sweet setup thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I like the PVC sock holders. Great design idea. That I shall commence to pilfer! ��

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store