Needing opinion on tank cleaning

robert511

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
orange county ca
Just thought I would ask a few of you guys that have experience with large tanks . This is my first big tank my last was a 180 and now I have a 518 gal be sides doing weekly water changes I was wondering is it OK to vac and clean tank once a month? I am pushing about 4000gph to a 110 gal sump my tank has 15 cichlids all between 3 inch to 5 inch and 2 of them are 9 inches to 11inch the rest small 2 clown lochs 2 - small Rafael cat 1 delzie bik and 4 plcos 3 to 6inchs so just looking for good advice also I don't want to be working harder than I have to thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Are you asking if vacuuming once a month is too little? It's definitely not too much....I'd say monitor your parameters and base your deeper cleaning off of what you deem to be acceptable quality. You could always do some vacuuming while you are doing your weekly change, since you're already working in the tank anyway, it's not that much more work.

robert511

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
orange county ca
Thanks for your input ! because of the earthquake last night here in fullerton ca It splashed about 30 gals out of my tank and collapsed my driftwood the tank has only be set 5 weeks so I thought today was a good day to vac and clean and yes another aftershock about 1hr ago 3.5 sucks again thanks i think if my tank was glass I might be vac water out of house instead of tank

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I felt the quake too so did my fish the water waved in my tanks but didn't splash out in a little further away in riverside county and yes I would vacuum it out and clean it up if it is thrashed around from the quake

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If your tank is cycled, because you used substrate or seeded media, I see no problem vacuuming.
I normally vacuum at least once per week.
And it's great your tanks didn't crack during the quake.

robert511

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
orange county ca
Here in fullerton we have been having earthquakes every hour since 9am this morning I am getting a little tired of it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store