Best QT preventative

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I first wanna apologize ahead of time for this long post.
So last week I bought a fw dolphin (mormyrus longirostris I believe). It was the healthiest looking and was eating at the shop and when I brought it home, I noticed that it had a mild outbreak of ich so I put it in qt with the temp at 84 and added salt. This morning I found it dead :( It only ate the first day I brought it home and never ate again and it progressively got worse. Here's exactly what happened:
I added an airstone bc it started breathing extremely rapidly that night. The next day it was breathing fine and was active but didn't eat. The next day it became really lazy and never moved but once the lights turned off, it was all over the place but never ate. The next few days it became extremely lethargic 24/7 and still didn't eat. Thursday night, I noticed that its slime coat was coming off so I added some stress coat to help replace it. Yesterday it was worse where the slime coat was even coming off of the fins and today it was dead.

I plan on going to the lfs tomorrow and hope that the other 1 is still there and I really don't want the same thing to happen to that 1. So like the title states, what are the best meds to use to prevent any of this from occurring while it is in qt. I did some research today to find out what happened and after a while of searching, I found out that they're actually extremely sensitive to salt (my bad) and are sensitive to a variety of different meds but no exact meds were stated. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I first wanna apologize ahead of time for this long post.
So last week I bought a fw dolphin (mormyrus longirostris I believe). It was the healthiest looking and was eating at the shop and when I brought it home, I noticed that it had a mild outbreak of ich so I put it in qt with the temp at 84 and added salt. This morning I found it dead :( It only ate the first day I brought it home and never ate again and it progressively got worse. Here's exactly what happened:
I added an airstone bc it started breathing extremely rapidly that night. The next day it was breathing fine and was active but didn't eat. The next day it became really lazy and never moved but once the lights turned off, it was all over the place but never ate. The next few days it became extremely lethargic 24/7 and still didn't eat. Thursday night, I noticed that its slime coat was coming off so I added some stress coat to help replace it. Yesterday it was worse where the slime coat was even coming off of the fins and today it was dead.

I plan on going to the lfs tomorrow and hope that the other 1 is still there and I really don't want the same thing to happen to that 1. So like the title states, what are the best meds to use to prevent any of this from occurring while it is in qt. I did some research today to find out what happened and after a while of searching, I found out that they're actually extremely sensitive to salt (my bad) and are sensitive to a variety of different meds but no exact meds were stated. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys

Now please don't just take my word since I've never had them or extensively researched. But from what you've said and experienced I'd do a couple things.

1) keep the tank lights until it behaves normally, if you take it home and it's healthy even keep the lights off the first day no matter what..
2) don't use salt, like you said.
3) target feed it foods it really likes (ex. My bb cat, prefers live worms to frozen)

And like I said, I'm no expert on them but those are the basics I can think of.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Thanks man. I'll take any and all advice I could get. What you stated was pretty much what I did except once I saw te ich, I knew I had to do something about it.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Seachem paraguard has been used on "sensitive" fish at anywhere from half a dose to 1/4 of a dose. The only catch is that you have to re-dose every 24 hours since it degrades, and the light should be off to reduce the speed at which it degrades. I would not use this medication at the same time as keeping the heat at 84F+.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Seachem paraguard has been used on "sensitive" fish at anywhere from half a dose to 1/4 of a dose. The only catch is that you have to re-dose every 24 hours since it degrades, and the light should be off to reduce the speed at which it degrades. I would not use this medication at the same time as keeping the heat at 84F+.
Could this med be used at the same time as soaking food with prazipro? I know a lot of meds can't be mixed. Also, since I keep a lot of bichirs, my tanks are always around 82-84F so would this be a problem?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yes you can use at the same time with soaking food with prazipro. Temp wise, I wouldn't go over 84F, and just watch what happens to the fish. Start off with 1/4 dosage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store