How much weight will a 4x6 hold?

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
New plan! So, I'm changing my plans a little and want to know how much weight will a 4x6 support?

I'll have 4 4x6's sitting side by side, 4" high and 6" wide. They are 8' long. The tank will sit centered on them and is 6' long. It's going to be sitting on 3 rows of cinder blocks. The blocks will cover the full width and will be centered and spaced 5' apart.

Finally, the 4x6's are untreated Douglas Fir.

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
Stock list for the tank:

4 pacus

2 silver arowana

4 rtc's

2 motoros

That should get people's attention. I'm not stocking the tank with those fish. That would clearly be a disaster as it's only a 150 gallon tank. I just need someone to help me determine if the 4x6's will support my 150g tank.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My 180 is supported by a diy stand constructed of 2x4s. I regularly grab, pull and push against the tank/stand to do maintainences and such with not so much as a budge. Click on the link in my signature below to take a look

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Four 4"x6"s will hold a 150g and then some. I'd just put a piece of styro over the top of it to iron out any imperfections.

Why not just do 3 stacks of cinder blocks (sides and middle) and use 2x4s (or plywood for that matter)?

Matt

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
Four 4"x6"s will hold a 150g and then some. I'd just put a piece of styro over the top of it to iron out any imperfections.

Why not just do 3 stacks of cinder blocks (sides and middle) and use 2x4s (or plywood for that matter)?

Matt
This set-up is a temporary home for my motoro until I build my monster tank. To keep the water volume high, because of the high bio-load of a ray, I'm using a 75gal tank underneath for a sump/refugium. The 150g is 6' long and the 75g is 4' long. They're both the same width, so there wouldn't be room for center braces if I use the 75 for my sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store