Large cichlid stocking question

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
Just got my new 260 gallon acrylic up, running, and cycled! Loving what I've got in it.... But wanting opinions on my stocking. I have 2 fluval 5x and a magnum 350 running. Gravel vac with 30% water change weekly. I have 1 oscar, 1 jag, 1 lg severum, 2 lg parrots, 1 md jack Dempsey, 2 good-sized tin foils, and a lg clown knife in it now. Am I done? Overstocked? I have a baby oscar and grn terror in the "grow out" tank I'm trying to sell. Hoping they will fit if they ever get bigger than "bite sized"? Thanks for your responses. I DO love having many fish, but I do want them to be happy and healthy, too!

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
Oh.... I have 4 bubblers for aeration and forgot about my "little"6 in leporinus and 8" sailfin Pleco :) opinions?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I would remove the knife fish and one of the big cichlids and you should be just right.

OR, remove two of the big cichlids and you'll be good. I know they may not fill the tank much, but not knowing how big they already are - they may be tiny still.

That said - you could have twice as many in there, and be fine - you'll just have to do a LOT more tank maintenance (water changes.) If everyone is happy, content, and relaxedly swimming around, then you're good to go.

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
Thanks for your reply :) everyone seems happy right now. Old knifey just lays low unless he smells food...and the lfs that sold him to me as a baby would take him back In a second if I ever needed to rehome him! I was going for a ca/as cichlid tank and he's my exception :) and the parrots, too, I guess...but everyone is quite content and I'm fine with extra maintenance! I just love the big "wet pet" cichlids! I thought 260 would b big enough, but my dream tank still holds oscars, chocolates, uaru's, etc. lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store