How to clean diftwood that may or may not have gotten chemicals on it?

AnnaMNR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Alma, MI
I was having someone store a large piece of driftwood for me because I didn't have a place to put it and wasn't using it currently. She said it was on the floor when she was waxing the hardwood and mopping the floor and it may have gotten a bit on it. What should I do to clean it now that I want to use it? Would putting it in the bathtub and pouring boiling water over it help any? Thank you!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Tough to say. Depends on the cleaning product/wax. Some contain preservatives that could hurt aquatic life. On the other hand, Murphy Oil Soap is pretty safe. It really depends. The wax is of most concern. Cleaner detergents come out if your wood pretty easily by soaking. Wax products are poorly water soluble...

I'd soak it for several days with daily change of water with HOT HOT HOT water...

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AnnaMNR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Alma, MI
Thank you. Do you think that maybe I shouldn't use it at all? I definitely don't want to risk my fish. Kind of sucks since I paid so much for it but I can always buy another piece for the tank at some point.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Your call entirely. I cannot conduct a risk assessment without knowledge of hazard (composition of cleaner) and exposure (how much got on it).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store