how sesentive are Mbu puffers to water quality and what range can they live in?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I was thinking of getting a MBU puffer to put into my community tank, I have a automatic drip system,but my water tends to be on the low Ph side it is a 420 gallon tank with a lot of fish in it,do you think that an active busy tank would not be good to keep one In,as it could not key in on one fish. I have stuff like wide bar silver dollars red parrot,green and red Severm,14inch tire track eel and fire eel 12 flag tail and many others. what side MBU puffer should I start out with?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Hard to say, really. A few things...I think you will be fine on ph; while I expect people will tell you they prefer alkaline water, and this may be true, mine is at 7 and is very, very healthy. Every fish is different but I would not be as worried about your Mbu "keying" on one fish. They are not bullies at all, so you would only be worried about curiosity, which would result in a nip, or the Mbu destroying a fish out of a feeding response. Their mouth/teeth are ridiculous. I would actually be more concerned in the other direction. I don't think a Mbu would do as well with other fish bumping into him, and so on. I think it would stress them. But if there is plenty of room, it could work, but you saying it is an active busy tank suggests it won't. They are awesome, though, and I think since it could work, you should try it. I would start with as small a Mbu as you can safely add to the tank. They grow very fast.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Thanks for the advice,your the only one to reply I was expecting a little more advice from other members that have kept them in large community tanks,I live in Long Island and most of the MBU puffers are like 12 inches long or larger and go for about $220 to $250 depending on size,usually in better end fish stores,love to find one about 5 inches what do you think they would go for?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Contact sturgeonlover he has top quality African imports for decent prices. I believe he has 8" mbus for $180. Located near you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Thanks for the advice,your the only one to reply I was expecting a little more advice from other members that have kept them in large community tanks,I live in Long Island and most of the MBU puffers are like 12 inches long or larger and go for about $220 to $250 depending on size,usually in better end fish stores,love to find one about 5 inches what do you think they would go for?
My mbu tiny has gotten into the habit of biting on my bottom fish, my bichirs and catfish, I would be a little concerned about the eels

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store