HELPPP!!! 75 gallon with sump PUMP went out :(

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
ok, ive got a 75 gallon tangankan tank and last night the pump that takes water from my sump back to the tank shorted out (due to a power serge I think)

ive got a pump in the mail, should be here Friday.
ive go a SMALL airerator in the tank is self right now to try to keep some air going.

should I be ok till the end of the week? I don't want any dead fish on my handssssss

thanks guys, im new

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I've read filter bacteria starts dying after about 6 hours of power loss. I've accidently left pumps off for 8+ hours before on a moderately stocked tank with no life loss.
Do a major water change, vaccum as much detrius as you can, and keep the water moving in the tank. Run and buy a cheap pond pump ASAP though. It can be undersized slightly, some flow through the filter is better than none.

trifisherjoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2014
Goodrich, MI
Negative...You need to borrow or buy a small(or large) hang on back filter for 75gal. Whatever you have in sump for bacteria(ceramic pieces, scrubbies,etc.) some need to be put in back of hang on filter...this should hold you until pump comes in mail. Next time order two pumps(or buy a used one)...always good to have a backup.Good luck.

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
ok thank you guys!

if cant get ahold of hanging filter for a few days, just do a water change every day and keep the airerator running?

tanks again everyone!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I would cancel your mail order one to be delivered Friday and buy a pump at a LFS or a pond pump at Home Depot.

I realize you can save money buying online, but this is one of those situations where you support your LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
my tank is stocked with a

7 in fronosa
3 in frontosa
6 in pleco
2 synadonis cats
2 small calvus
1 berchardi
1 cylintricus
1 oranotis

if I keep up with waterchanges, what you think my chances are for being ok till Friday?

and what exactly am I battling here? build up of amonya or what?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
You'll need to recycle your aquarium and likely get new fish if you don't purchase a replacement pump today is my thoughts.

The water changes and gravel vac is to reduce ammonia, and give the fish a better chance.
The battle you're fighting is to keep the bacteria in the filter alive, which requires the aquarium water to flow through the media.

We keep filter bacteria, not fish.

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
just want to make sure im on the right page,

so as long as the fish arnt gasping for air, and LOOK ok my focus should be on keeing the backteria alive in the bio balls?
just keepin them wet is not enough right? idealy id want an airerator in both the sump AND the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store