Plywood test build

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
So in the near future (hopefully) I will be building a tank 10'x3'-4'x3' for an aro of some type. Before I go and do something as big as that I'd like to do a test build of something like 6'x2'x2'. I've been doing some research. I have an idea of how I would do it. I'd like some input on what way do you think would work best. Also for the first plywood build do those sound like good dimensions or should I go smaller?

This tank will be a mini one of the future one.

My idea: use glass for the viewing window. Incase the glass in a plywood frame that will attach to the tank and silicone both sides. The sides will be placed against the side of the bottom sheet.

Question: would I paint first then build or build then paint?
When I use epoxy to seal it should I also put silicone in the seams or will the epoxy be enough by itself?
How would I brace it? Would putting a sheet on top that will have holes cut into it to access the tank be bracing and or enough of it?

I think that's all my questions

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
There's a lot of plywood builds on this forum, and almost all of them(well all the ones I read) have had leaks, so why not do a metal frame with a pondliner inside and a viewing window? Easier, stronger, and if you use a good pond liner and seal the window in well, virtually leak proof for life. If plywood is still your route then epoxy is not enough, youl need to build it first then epoxy the entire thing and silicone the seams/joints then a fibreglass layer on all the seams/joints aswell. That's the basic answer, look up some of the DIY builds on here for inspiration.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
not sure which ones you read.. very few tanks built here have leaks outside of plumbing issues which has zero to do with plywood.

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
There's a lot of plywood builds on this forum, and almost all of them(well all the ones I read) have had leaks, so why not do a metal frame with a pondliner inside and a viewing window? Easier, stronger, and if you use a good pond liner and seal the window in well, virtually leak proof for life. If plywood is still your route then epoxy is not enough, youl need to build it first then epoxy the entire thing and silicone the seams/joints then a fibreglass layer on all the seams/joints aswell. That's the basic answer, look up some of the DIY builds on here for inspiration.

I've never heard of metal frames but I will look into that thanks for the idea but I think plywood may still be easier to work with for me at least

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Wednesday 13 has some great metal tank builds, search for metal monster 650 and metal monster 3k.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store