Arowana with head tilted down-Advice needed

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
It's not my aro, but someone is selling an asian aro for a fairly cheap price because it's head is tilted down. He said that it has been that way for about 4 months since he switched tanks and moved it with a net. I know there are a few different reasons why they can be tilted but I'm wondering what some of you may think. I was thinking it may have gulped air during the move. He said he hasn't tried anything to make it level out and its about 15 inches or so.

Curable? Or leave it for the next guy?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
after a couple of months and it still is with hind flotability??? Forget it.

It happens a lot when they gulp air while being moved. I solve it with salt and higher temps and increased water flow...

2, 3 days, maximum.

This one must have a problem in the swimm bladder. does it even eat and behave normally??

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
[video=youtube;5DTZGqMcrYU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTZGqMcrYU[/video]

I thought it looked fairly thin, but I've never owned an asian aro before.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It's not my aro, but someone is selling an asian aro for a fairly cheap price because it's head is tilted down. He said that it has been that way for about 4 months since he switched tanks and moved it with a net. I know there are a few different reasons why they can be tilted but I'm wondering what some of you may think. I was thinking it may have gulped air during the move. He said he hasn't tried anything to make it level out and its about 15 inches or so.

Curable? Or leave it for the next guy?
This is swim bladder problem for sure

After some time the tail will start changing position

It's cheap for a reason don't buy it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Yea I was just thinking it might be a fairly simple fix, but I know it could be a life shortening condition as well.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would not buy it.

I imagined worse from your first description. Does it eat? Is it able to dive to the tanks bottom?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I'm not sure I haven't seen it in person. I'm assuming it's eating seems it been like this for 4 months, but who knows. The overall verdict seems to be to stay away from it, so I think that's what I'm going to do.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
It can go for more than that without eating. It surely does not move as speedily as the others for food. It must eat left overs.

Skip it unless you have a tank you can dedicate to it as a wet pet and try to go from there. But it should cost you zero.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store