Odessea Lighting Question

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Rhode Island, United States
I bought a odessea quad t5 HO 72" for my planted tank about 2 months ago, i like it very much and am pleased with it. am looking forward to setting up a 20H reef when i move and was planning to get another one of their lights and saw some reviews from 2008 saying peoples house were burning down because of them. but most reviews around 2011 are positive. Does odessea have a UL listing? is the product safe?, i don't want a fire hazard sitting on top of my tank. can someone please clear this up for me thanks.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Odyssea does not have a UL listing for any of their lighting systems, but Odyssea has made the move to using better reflectors, built in cooling fans, etc... I have a 48" Odyssea T5HO Quad w/ built in timer and I haven't had any problems with it since I first got it last year. I use a Coralife Digital Timer for my tank, and plug in the Odyssea into one of the full on outlets this way "if" something were to happen the Coralife Digital Timer would screwed and not my tank or apartment.

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Rhode Island, United States
well as far as i can tell its a good lighting system but i still got that sketchy feeling about it. two things that always paranoid me in this hobby is fires and leaks our worst fears lol

aaron7353

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Iowa
From what I've read, the fires happened with the old metal halide fixtures. Can't remember what exactly it was that went faulty. People heard lighting fixtures were catching fire and shunned the brand entirely for a while.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
I have an odyssey mh fixture. The ballast went bad in about a week of use from new. Replaced the ballast with a diff brand and all is well. For the price I would buy again and replace the ballast if necessary. Still cheaper than other fixtures.

cciesielski01

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2013
Waterloo,IA
The odyssea fixtures are good from what I have heard but I swayed away from them when I bought my fixture because of a few local fish keepers had issues with the ballasts going out. I bought a fishneedit.com fixture for the same price and they have a better reflector. Last time I checked they were still half off with the coupon you can't really beat the price

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store