Arowana death

steviev123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I've kept an arowana in a 125 gallon tank for about a year and now suddenly he's died on me he was about a foot long living with a 3 inch rtc, 2 6 inch common plecos and 1 6 inch bichir. The water parameters come up like:
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- almost 0ppm
Ph- 6.4ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1396302283.115813.jpg
Anyone have any idea why he or she died. Pic follows

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Man thought Arowana grew faster then 12 inches in a year. Did you do a water change when you seen him dead or did you test right then? I would assume that a dead Arowana would make it impossible for all your readings to still be 0.

steviev123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Man thought Arowana grew faster then 12 inches in a year. Did you do a water change when you seen him dead or did you test right then? I would assume that a dead Arowana would make it impossible for all your readings to still be 0.
I tested the water and the readings read normal I'm almost positive I tested right. Any ideas based on the picture?

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
No, as it appears it has died for a while.

All of sudden? Not many fish all of sudden dies. When was the last time the fish ate?

What's your filter and water change schedule? With large fish, unless you do drastic water changes or have plants in your tank, your nitrate will not be near zero.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
+1 something smells fishy? no pun intended.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
He's been dead days. Like said before your water test would be less than perfect with a foot long rotting aro dead. That's a ton of bad news for water quality.

Next, had he been eating, acting peculiar, could he of jumped into the glass tops, was your tank full at the time of death or was there a gap between water level and glass tops?

What was his diet? How often you feed? How much water did you change and how often did you do tank maintenance? What's your filtration? How often do you clean your filters out? Honesty will only help you so don't be shy. Not saying you didn't take proper care of your tank but life happens
Signature

steviev123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
Boston, MA
That's what I don't understand either I mean I change the water and filter like once a month or two and I realize that isn't very good but I do that because every time I test my water I get these type of results can anyone help me with this?

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
You only do a wc every month or two? A good start would be to start doing a wc every week or so. The filters get cleaned twice a month. Clean water for the most part means no mysterious deaths. I'm viewing this on me cell phone but it looks like the eyes are clouded over which to me indicates a longer period of time of death.

Maybe elaborate more on your specifics to you can get help from members and figure out what's going on so you don't lose more fish

If I was to put a reason of your aro dying I would say water quality issues that lead to sickness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store