Green Spotted Puffer in salt?

Davis102613

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'm getting back into salt and wanted to know if I could do a Green Spotted Puffer in a salt setup, or is it brackish only?

What are other options for a 20 gallon (long) saltwater tank, fish, corals etc. if the GSP is not appropriate?

Davis102613

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
My gsp has been in full marine for 5 years.
Awesome! And the answer I was praying for lol.

Are they safe with corals? Are there any Clean-Up-Crew critters that would be safe with him?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Awesome! And the answer I was praying for lol.

Are they safe with corals? Are there any Clean-Up-Crew critters that would be safe with him?
You can do softies but mine bites at the rocks a lot as for a cuc, mine doesn't really care. It's been with hermits snails cucumbers. I wouldn't risk crabs or shrimp though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Davis102613

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Tons of help, thanks so much!

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Only problem is did you say 20 gallon? They require minimum of 30 gallons. fluctuation in a 20 gallon SW tank are great and the GSP wont do well with fluctuations. Also they have those beaks to feed on shells so clean up crew with them is not an option. actually you should be feeding them snails and shrimp to keep the beak filed down. Corals I have never tried so I don't know. Up your tank to a 45 and you will have one happy puffer I had mine in a 45 with damsels and it did well.

Good luck to you they are great little fish with huger personalities, by far one of my favorites.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
If you buy the puffer and it has been living in fresh water, wouldn't dumping it in a salt water tank be too much of a shock. I was under the assumption that they would have to be acclimated to the marine environment. One of the local LFS here has the green spotted puffers in both fresh and salt water tanks. If you can find one that is already living in salt water, I would imagine that might be safer, but again, I'm not 100% on this. Good Luck

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
If you buy the puffer and it has been living in fresh water, wouldn't dumping it in a salt water tank be too much of a shock. I was under the assumption that they would have to be acclimated to the marine environment. One of the local LFS here has the green spotted puffers in both fresh and salt water tanks. If you can find one that is already living in salt water, I would imagine that might be safer, but again, I'm not 100% on this. Good Luck
Yes you are correct it does have to be slowly acclimated. I made and assumption that that was understood. But you are right to bring it up. I probably shouldn't assume such vital parts of the process.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Only problem is did you say 20 gallon? They require minimum of 30 gallons. fluctuation in a 20 gallon SW tank are great and the GSP wont do well with fluctuations. Also they have those beaks to feed on shells so clean up crew with them is not an option. actually you should be feeding them snails and shrimp to keep the beak filed down. Corals I have never tried so I don't know. Up your tank to a 45 and you will have one happy puffer I had mine in a 45 with damsels and it did well.

Good luck to you they are great little fish with huger personalities, by far one of my favorites.
Even though they have the beaks to break the shells if snails, I don't believe they're strong enough to break the shells of astreas and turbos. They have extremely hard shells that are tough to break. Mine has been living with snails and hermits and it tried to eat them at first but the shells are so tough that the gsp couldn't break them and just gave up entirely. I'm going 5 years and those snails and hermits are still in there kicking it.

I completely missed the part about you putting it in a 20. I'd say that's fine for a small 1 but you need to keep track of the params. Don't skimp on topping off either cuz even though a drop in salinity is fine for them, a rise is a different story.

Where are you located? If you're local or close to me, I can sell you mine, that way you don't have to go through the hassle of converting it. I'm just trying to find the time to ship my fimbriated moray to a member and when that's done, I'm tearin the tank down.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Davis102613

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'm not so worried about fluctuations - I already have a sump I can hook up, 75 gallon skimmer and an Eheim I can hook up, just don't know if it will all fit or if the current will be too much for the awkward swimming little guy. My live rock has been in freshwater for WAY too long to still be live so I'll have to take a huge amount of time preparing the tank for salt anyway so I'll just start brackish and slowly acclimate (though I'm sure the LFS keeps them in FW). All things considered it should equal out to at least 30 gallons, I don't think they get big enough that space would be an issue in a 20? Is a weekly feeding of snails enough or do they require more?

I'm in Ohio, wish I were closer to Cali after this winter though lol

Thanks for all the advice again guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store