Awesome DIY Power Filter

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Thank you UaruJoe King of DIY. Water came out crystal clear after a day. It's a perfect DIY to setup emergency grow out tanks.

Link to DIY
http://youtu.be/yE1pF9xx0Fc

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
For the cost of the powerhead, I could find a power filter that would do the same thing. For that matter, buy a $4 box filter and put an air pump on it and it would work just the same.

Cool idea, but I just don't see where I'm getting a great amount of benefit.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
It's easier to find used powerhead for sale than used HOB filters. I got a powerhead for $10. A used HOB ac or emperor filter would cost me 25-30. This mod worked for me cuz the water is crystal clear. Box filter are poor mechanic filtration. With the maxijet I get 1200g per hour which give the tank over 10x turnover.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
HOBs are a dime a dozen around here. I don't even try to sell them, I just give them away. I'm not sure how box filters can be considered poor. If you are comparing, then you should be using the same filter medium. The only benefit would be the turnover. In a small tank, I'm never had an issue removing particulate with air driven filters.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I wish I was near you. I could use a free small HOB filter. Used HOB filter here can carry a hefty price.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
For the cost of the powerhead, I could find a power filter that would do the same thing. For that matter, buy a $4 box filter and put an air pump on it and it would work just the same.

Cool idea, but I just don't see where I'm getting a great amount of benefit.

When i make a video, i take into account that not every body has access to everything in the aquarium trade since people all over the world watch these videos.

This was one of MANY filters i have shown how to make... including the ones you suggest and many variations of them.

Reactions: Doobied21
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store