How many bichirs?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
So i wanna get around a 300 gallon may be more not sure on the footprint but most likely will be the wide version not tall one.

Just wandering how this stock is?

x1 BGK
x6 Geophagus Jurupari
x4 Synodontis Preticola
x2 Synodontis Decorus
x1 Redfin Prochilodus
x1 fire eel
On to the bichirs
x1 endlicheri
x2 ornatipinnis
x2 delhezi
x1 P. palmas polli
x1 senegalus
x2
teugelsi
x1 palmas palmas
x1 weeksii
x1 buettikoferi
x1 retropinnis

More or less stock? I only want the endlicheri as a lower jaw species

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
For the bichirs you could probably add a couple more if you wanted to. As far as the other stock I am not that familiar with other than the fire eel and the BGK and I think you should be fine with them.

swrdply400mrelay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
Texas
I've heard that the prochilodus can suck the slime coat off the Poly's the way plecos do but I have no personal experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Could I add a few teugelsi, maybe an ornate and maybe 2 more Senegalus?

As for the slime coat, how do the synodontis suck the coat off? Do they just go up to them and like bite it off? Or like literally start sucking the slime coat off.

swrdply400mrelay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
Texas
Not synodontis, prochilodus. From what I understand they also eat algae like plecos so they literally suck slime coat. I found this out BC I wanted to get one for my tank but found they might not be compatible with Poly's. YMMV

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why not get the tank and then worry about it? Get the largest tank with the largest footprint you have room for. Then ask this question.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
Synos suck off slime coat too. It rarely happens but I had a lace syno and he sucked off the slime coat of del.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
In my experience with synodontis and polypterus, the syno will suck the slime coat off but only if they are not fed correctly or starving but there is always the chance of one just being an --- towards it's tank mates. Same goes with Plecos not all Plecos will suck the slime coat off a polypterus in my experience it goes back to being starved or lack off food.. But in saying that ask MFK member Rodgers what a Pleco can do to a polypterus. :(

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Can a pleco actually kill it them? wow thats terrible, well disappointed about the synos but bichirs are my main focus so new list...

x1 BGK
x8 Geophagus Jurupari
x1 fire eel

On to the bichirs
x1 endlicheri
x3 ornatipinnis
x2 delhezi
x2 P. palmas polli
x2 senegalus
x3 teugelsi
x2 palmas palmas
x2 weeksii
x1 buettikoferi
x1 retropinnis

And its most likely going to be a 300 gallon and i just like to know what im doing ahead of time, and its exciting to think of what im getting.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Fire eel and geos will do fine. The BGK will be 50-50 depending on how often u feed your bichirs and how much. Also the size of the BGK as well the size of endli, ornate, polli and weeksii. If all bichirs are at the size of 10"+ and the BGK at below 10", it could get eaten. Unless u can make your BGK grow fast to 15-18" but that will take years and most likely it will stay at 10-12" and slow down from there. Ornate, endli and weeksii will get to 14-18" in a year. Also all 3 get a potential size of 20"+, no hope for u on keeping BGK with those 3 bichirs. Takes about 5-7 year for BGK to get pass 12"+. Those 3 bichirs will take 1-3 years to pass 20". If u really want a BGK, special order a wild caught that is around 13"-15"+ as at that size they are more robust and and even a 20"+ bichir wont be able to swallow it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store