Big dat eat small dat?

ookutoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
bloomfield NJ 07003
Hey guys I can't find anything on this matter or heard about it but I was just wondering can or do datnoids eat Thier own kind? Reason I'm asking because I got some 1-2" datnoid mixed with some 6" dats(don't have time to set up another tank) . From the look of it the bigger one can def eat a small dat but its been good for a day so far. I just wanna make sure because I don't wanna take any chances. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
All fish can display cannibalism if starved for days. Personally I would never put a fish in with another fish that I think could fit in the mouth of the bigger fish. I had a bass that ate a fish 3/4 of it size. Dats are no exception to this rule.

ookutoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
bloomfield NJ 07003
All fish can display cannibalism if starved for days. Personally I would never put a fish in with another fish that I think could fit in the mouth of the bigger fish. I had a bass that ate a fish 3/4 of it size. Dats are no exception to this rule.
Yea I know bass does and I have seen it. It's just I haven't heard or read anything about datnoids eating datnoids so I'm kinda curious. I've had a 12" in with dats ranging from 3"-6" and had no problem

ookutoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
bloomfield NJ 07003
Generally no, the small guys should be safe. What CAN happen is that the bigger one may "inhale" the smaller ones by accident when feeding.

I see ok thanks. I feed the big guys pretty fat before putting them in with the smaller one. All eats pellets so I hope it'll be ok.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My experience: little dats are invisible to big dats. I threw 5 two inchers in with a 13 and no problem.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aceofxiang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Singapore
dats eating each other is possible but rarely.. unless your're talking about a good 14 to 15inch dat with a few little 2inch dats.. but from experience, unlikely that they will eat their kind unless starved to extreme extend. Only time I experienced lost of a dat is when I had a 16 inch ST along with a few 2inch ITs... 5 out of 12 ITs became his night supper... gone when I woke u the next morning..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store