Any iridescent shark experts?

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Looking for anyone who's an expert on my ID Sharks or who has had great luck with them. Recently I rescued 2 from my LFS, The Boss is between 13/14 inches and Brutus is 10/11 inches. I got them about a week ago and keeping them currently in a 75g until my 150 arrives. I've come across a few small issues with them and when I tried to research them online I can't get to much info unless I want to repeatedly see article after article on how these are not your average fish and they should be banned from fish stores and so on.
Now that I've had these guys a bit and need more then just basic knowledge my LFS is leading me to believe they are not qualified enough on them. They seem to have very basic info at the best.
I'm looking for someone to be my go to person for advice. Not just an open forum like this to ask simple questions. Although this page has been helpful in some areas I still seem to be running into a wall when asking for specific questions.
Thanks-Amber

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Hi, and welcome :D!
I'm no expert on ID Sharks, but i've read a little about them, like all other interesting catfish :D!
The first question you gotta ask your self is, are you ready to keep these guys for life?
I'm guessing when you rescued them, you had an idea of what they where, and there eventual size?
Well anyways, they'r from what i've heard gonna get to around 3feet, and sometimes larger, sometimes a little smaller, so you need a pond or a very, very large tank.

There is alot of people on here that have personal expirience with these fish, so your most likely gonna get alot better info from them.
Again welcome.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Pangasius catfish. They get huge and poo everywhere. Tankmates tend to help them spaz out less. They are known to break glass tanks. I believe the biggest caught in wild was over 700lbs.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Pangasius catfish. They get huge and poo everywhere. Tankmates tend to help them spaz out less. They are known to break glass tanks. I believe the biggest caught in wild was over 700lbs.
That was Pangasius Gigas, theres meny Pangasius Species. ID Sharks dont get that big, but still very big.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We as a community can be your go-to resource. Go ahead, ask your questions.

They are raised in astounding numbers for food and are called SWAI in grocery shops. For a long time, every LFS has been carrying them and still do.

Yes, they are a wrong fish to be so widely available and exceedingly cheap... but I am still surprised you have difficulties finding meaningful info on the IDSs. Have you seen the articles on IDS on Planet Catfish, ScotCat, Seriously Fish, Aquatic Community, Fish Base, Wikipedia, World Fishing Records, Big Fishes of the World, Catalog of Fishes, etc.?

(Gigas have been re-assigned to a genus different from Pangasius.)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
We as a community can be your go-to resource. Go ahead, ask your questions.

They are raised in astounding numbers for food and are called SWAI in grocery shops. For a long time, every LFS has been carrying them and still do.

Yes, they are a wrong fish to be so widely available and exceedingly cheap... but I am still surprised you have difficulties finding meaningful info on the IDSs. Have you seen the articles on IDS on Planet Catfish, ScotCat, Seriously Fish, Aquatic Community, Fish Base, Wikipedia, World Fishing Records, Big Fishes of the World, Catalog of Fishes, etc.?

(Gigas have been re-assigned to a genus different from Pangasius.)
Oh, i didnt know they where reassigned to a new genus, now i do :D!
Thanks. I didnt have an issue finding information either, but i think this thread was posted to hear some peoples personal expiriences :D!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not an expert on the sharks but I'd like to think I know an above average level about cats than say people who are always on the cichlids forums and never on here. Any questions about cats, PM me and I'll answer the best I can.

im not going to lie through, if you really want ONE person to go to for knowledge on cats then I'd really consider doing a few people since different people have different experiences. thebiggerthebetter knows his fair share in these fish as well as Necro (but Necro hasn't been around I a while), knife gill is pretty good too, and I'm pretty good with cats. I'm sure there are many many many more people on here that I didn't name that I just don't see posting around. Like others have said, were a community all with different experiences so it's good to have multiple people to go to.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
divemaster seems to know quite abit about cats :D
If your arent ready to build a large pond, then you should take them back to the LFS,
If your ready to build a large pond, then theres alot of people here that know alot about building ponds :D!

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I have a question as well are there 2 fish labeled the ID shark? The ones I see now are striped but what used to be around here labeled ID shark was a shiny blue/black with a white belly and throat. Are these the same fish or not body structure and face look the same but colors are different. It was mentioned as well that ID's are quite predatory to small fish.
Amber n the boss what do your Ids look like as far as color?
I have read they are jumpers and of course flighty. The one we have in a 160 is calm as long as there are no nets in the tank. He is in with some CA cichlids and is doing well and eats sinking pellets right along side of them. Your a least have 2 together which I have read relaxes them a little as they are a schooling fish.
I hope this thread goes on for awhile as I too would like to learn a little more about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store