Picking up drilled tank - What do you think

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
Hey all,

I'm picking up a new (used tank) but the problem is it was drilled on the top of one of the sides. It looks like it was just plugged with a bunch of silicone, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Assuming I wanted to reseal it just to be on the safe side, what do you think the best way would be?

Could I just scrape off the silicone that's on there now and just put a bulkhead on it without using silicone and cap the end of it? I know many people find a slightly larger piece of glass or Plexiglas and just seal it with silicone, but that seems more difficult if I can just slap a bulkhead on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tank hole 1.jpg
tank hole 2.jpg

tank hole 1.jpg

tank hole 2.jpg

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
You can plug it with a bulkhead. That would probably be the easiest route. You can also silicone a piece of glass on the inside. I would go with the bulkhead though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
awesome, thanks. Any recommendations on where I could order the best bulkhead? Do people typically seal the "washers" with sylicone or just use threaded bulkheads and then cap it?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
awesome, thanks. Any recommendations on where I could order the best bulkhead? Do people typically seal the "washers" with sylicone or just use threaded bulkheads and then cap it?
Most lfs should stick them. You can use bigalsonline drsfosterandsmith. Use threaded bulkheads with the seals. You don't need silicone

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
I ordered mine off bulk reef supply. I just used the included gasket no silicone and no issue with leaking.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store