Seaview Gel

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
I just picked up two double sided backgrounds for my 75 and 90 gallon tanks. I was thinking of getting some seaview gel to attach them. Has anyone used this product before? Is it worth it for just a regular solid color background?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ive used it and it does make the background really look good. Not having the air between the background and tank make a big difference, the details really stood out. It is a bit messy to work with and your background has to be near perfect not to get air bubbles. It would come out great in the center but as you got to the edges there were tiny ripples in the background which caused air bubbles that were next to impossible to remove.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I never used it or anything for that matter but I read baby oil, and petroleum Jelly do the same thing.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
I'm curious as to what the results would be. The fish in the tanks would be a Festae pair in the 90 and an RTM pair in the 75. They are both very colorful fish, so I'm trying to figure out if the seaview gel is worth it visually. I'm breaking down and moving both tanks monday, so I won't have another chance to do this until I move. I see a lot of great pics on here with black backgrounds and wondered if this (along with a nice camera) would produce better pics.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I had used the gel on a background with a pattern on a 5ft 120g tank. It really made the picture pop. When it came time to do my 210g I decided just to go plain black background and tape it on. I think the gel is good if you have a picture background but if its just black I dont think you need it. Actually if I were to redo it I would probably just paint the back black instead.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
I had used the gel on a background with a pattern on a 5ft 120g tank. It really made the picture pop. When it came time to do my 210g I decided just to go plain black background and tape it on. I think the gel is good if you have a picture background but if its just black I dont think you need it. Actually if I were to redo it I would probably just paint the back black instead.
+1,My background is also black, I used the gel, on a black background save yourself a couple bucks and tape it or paint it black

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store