Aquariums in apartments/townhouse

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I'm looking to be moving out of my parents place here shortly. How do landlords usually treat aquariums in terms of size/numbers. I've got a 75 gallon and a 180 I'm looking to bring both with me. I'd be looking for a 1st floor apartment if a townhouse doesn't happen.

Jdmxluv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Koreatown
In my opinion. I think landlords are easy on fishes rather than dogs or cats since they dont bark. But i would ask the manager before if not keep it a secret like i am. Been three years no problems yet

Sent from my LG-D801 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I've had up to a 265gallon in a rental...just don't ask, but also make sure there are no provisions expressly against it in the lease either

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
I've had up to a 265gallon in a rental...just don't ask, but also make sure there are no provisions expressly against it in the lease either
+1. I got 4 in a two bedroom flat . never said a word about.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
The 75 should be fine, especially on the first floor, but the 180 might be an issue. At the very least you'll need to get renter's insurance.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would definitely mention that there'll be a couple of "large" fish tanks moving in with you, just don't mention how big a 180 really is. Not that most people will have any idea how big a 180 really is in person. You want to disclose this so if the landlord(s) ever happens to see the tank, they can't renege on the lease since you had disclosed it and gotten the ok.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
As a landlord and an aquarium enthusiast. The most I would allow is a 55 gallon. If I found any of my tenants "sneaking" anything they will have an eviction notice the next day. I need people I can trust. I am more flexible with people that "proove" themselves. I have 1 tenant that has been with me 5 years and we don't even have a lease anymore because I know I can trust the guy.

it might sound like I am being a jerk but ask any of my tenants I am a nice guy. I just have found tenants don't take care of your property like an owner does. Water gets splashed on the floors during a water change and they don't think anything of it except by the time they move out there is mold under the carpet. I am not suggesting you would do this but from a landlords point of view that is where I stand. I would ask your land lord about both tanks if he has a problem with it ask him if just the 75 would be ok. prove your self to be a reliable tenant and then ask again in a year.

So I say all this because it is best to have everything out in the open. It will also save you the stress of wondering what will happen if your land lord sees it.

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Only way a lessor could go anything was if it was in the contract prohibiting it. Most laws heavily favor the lessee once the contract is signed. Would get the renters insurance though and make sure they know about the tanks so its covered if something were to happen.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Talk with them and be up front. There might be a VERY good reason you can't have one, and it could come back to bite you in the end. There could be weight restrictions (even on the first floor) where the building just can't take the small footprint with such a massive amount of weight. If anything happens (like a stand failure), you'll be on the hook for the damages. They may require renters insurance or prohibit anything above a specific gallon size. Being up front and honest protects yourself and shows you are worth having as a renter.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I would agree with being upfront, but it is true that they generally can't evict you for having an aquarium - unless it is expressly prohibited in the lease. But, that doesn't mean they won't find some other way to have you evicted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store