Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
I just picked up a Electric Blue Jack Dempsey today. The body has a blue tint to it like a peacock cichlid, and they can flash the blue also. I was wonderin if anybody else has seen these yet, the LFS said that was the first time they were available to them and they fetch a price tag of about $60 but everything was half off today so I figured I'd pick one up cause I think it's gonna look sweet once it get's bigger.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
need to see this!

rmcder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2007
ny
If they're half off, you might want to get a couple. These guys have a tendency to die when they are small, but are certainly beautiful when grown out! Keep the water as clean as you can and make sure food doesn't pile up. There are a lot of (long) threads about problems on various forums. You might want to look at:

www.bluejax.co.uk

N-E Cichlids

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
Ellenton, Florida
WWW.N-ECICHLIDS.COM
These guys have been in the states for about 2 years now. They are very sensitive and very expensive in the LFS. You can get them cheaper from online venders. We sell them for $25 each all year round. I have seen other venders selling them for $30. It all depends. Being they are so sensitive and expensive, be careful buying them from a LFS. Most LFS are on a central system, so just because the EBJD tank looks clean, dosen't mean the water is. Mr. Oscar a couple of tanks down may be chomping on a goldfish and sending all sorts of crap into the system. Good Luck growing them out.

Stab

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'm surprised there are people out there still who never heard of blue jack dempsey. They are actullay getting much cheaper now (I can get a 1.5" juvie today for $15 locally, whereas a year ago they went for $25 minimum). These fish look spectacular as adults but are incredibly fragile and will often die for no apprent reason. After 2 failed attempts at starting BJD breeding projects I am actually tempted to try again... ;)

richardhmc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
nyc
Yeh, its hard to keep em alive. Actually, one of my ebjds are dieing right now as I speak.

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Thanks guys, kinda sucks they are so fragile when little I'll do the best I can to get him big. I only got one cause he was the bluest and most dominant one in the tank the others were kinda white with blue in them when this one is blue all over. Will his pattern change throughout his growing stages and can any of you post some pics of adult jd's. I would post a pic of this one but I need to get a new dig. cam.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
The pattern will change dramatically as the fish ages. Here's a pic of my EBJD when it was younger, and just a few days ago:

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
that's a JD?
it looks like an eye eater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store