shark egg identification please

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
My hubby brought this home today and it was labeled "bamboo cat shark egg" That's what it was sold to the pet store as. I don't always think the distributors know what their looking at so I did some photo recon. It don't seem big enough or wide enough for a bamboo. Seems more like a swell shark but I am not an egg expert. This is my first egg. (not my first shark) Have been keeping sharks for a long time just first egg. Can anyone tell me what this baby is?

shark egg.jpeg

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yep, coral catshark. Way too small and wrong shape to be a bamboo. You're probably a couple of weeks out with the embryo already that size. Looks good.

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
Thanks guys much appreciated. I can deffinatly see stripes on him already. With coral cats do they start out with stripes? Mine was well out of the egg when I got her so don't know if she she had strips before the dark pattern with the white spots.

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Thanks guys much appreciated. I can deffinatly see stripes on him already. With coral cats do they start out with stripes? Mine was well out of the egg when I got her so don't know if she she had strips before the dark pattern with the white spots.
They develop the stripes as they develop inside the egg. They start out a pinkish color (basically colorless), then the stripes start to form on the fins, then the rest of the body.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sorry for the junk pics, but these are the ones I bred several years ago. You can see the stripes the newly hatched pups have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store