noisey pump!

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
like the title says, ive got myself one loud pump.

i just got my new rio 1090 pump for my 75 gal.

its wayyyyyyy louder than my old rio pump. ill i see on the old one is

volt: 115v/60hz
e/hr: 2630
watt: 25

i belive this new pump is alittle larger, but no exageration it is twice as noisey.

do pumps have a "break in period"?
orrrrr am i going to have to sound proof my sump ( this tank is in my bedroom)

thanks for any help!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are different types of pump noise.
If you're talking about vibration as far as noise goes, some pumps or pump piping need to be placed on a sponge, or buffered to keep vibration noise down.
Note how I place a sponge between the pipe and sump side to keep hum down.

This Mag drive pump in another sump tends to vibrate loudly if placed directly on the glass bottom, so it is on a filter sponge to keep noise at a minimum.

If the noise is from cavitation (a crackling sound) that is another matter.

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
ok, i THINK it would be vibration.

i will give the sponge a try, any house hold sponge will work?

thanks for the quick answer btw!

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Be careful with what sponge you add. Some contain cleaning chemicals and color that may affect your water. Your best bet would be to buy some filter media and use that.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree, be careful of kitchen sponges, some are anti microbial/anti fungal which could kill your fish.
I use large filter sponges made to be mechanical and bio-filter media for ponds, the sponges used in large pond filters are perfect for my use, and sometimes available at garden centers that have pond supplies.
Along with the noise reduction, they will provide areas for beneficial bacteria, especially near pump intakes where there is constant water movement.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree, be careful of kitchen sponges, some are anti microbial/anti fungal which could kill your fish.
I use large filter sponges made to be mechanical and bio-filter media for ponds, the sponges used in large pond filters are perfect for my use, and sometimes available at garden centers that have pond supplies.
Along with the noise reduction, they will provide areas for beneficial bacteria, especially near pump intakes where there is constant water movement.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Can you remove the impeller cover and see if you have something stuck inside or a chipped fin that would cause a vibration. A loose fitting pin?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store